Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Car parking at Oban?

Anywhere nearish to Oban Transit Marina where might be safe for crew to leave a car for a few days.
    Prepared to pay if necessary but all parking seems to be pay and display for couple of hours only.

Suggestions?

Default Re: Car parking at Oban?

The last time I did that was many years ago in Albany street a little after the police station, don't know if it's still available as I have friends that have a holiday home there now As an alternative you could risk the Tesco car park.

From the transit pontoons walk left, past the chocolate shop, to the roundabout, then bear left again keeping the sea to your left and heading towards Ganavan, the parking on the left was free, I used to leave my car there for a fortnight a time when working on one of the small cruise ships out of Oban and never had any issues, nor finding a spot, even at the height of summer.

The other alternative was the swimming pool long stay car park, though it's been a couple of years since I last parked there.

There is nothing in the town centre. Tescos' car park is a no-no for longer than about 3 hours. In the backstreets near Tescos there a couple of places offering long-term parking, primarily for ferry passengers. I don't think the swimming pool carpark allows overnight parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Minchsailor View Post
    There is nothing in the town centre.
    Last spring there were precisely two free long-stay places right in the middle, on the lay-by on the sea front beside the West Coast Motors offices. The council had done some work to the road but not replaced the signs or the markings. Unfortunately that was sorted by the time I went back in the summer.

According to Parkopedia, Oban station charges 3 per day (might be passengers only and "Harbour Bowl" charges 5 per day.

https://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/oban
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I think you'll find that all the free parking has now gone. We berth in Oban and used to use the Swimming pool car park, but everything is now pay and display.
    I am told you can now buy a weeks permit for the pay and display car parks, including the one at the North Pier, right by the transit marina. The relevant source is https://parking.argyll-bute.gov.uk/season-tickets/.
    Good luck.

Thanks all. The parking along the road toward Ganavan is all short stay metered now, until well past the castle.

Will explore the parking permit. Or alternatively some street parking well up the hill behind St Columbia’s Cathedral

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Or alternatively some street parking well up the hill behind St Columbia’s Cathedral
    Best bet by far... a good few hundred meters away from the town Center in any direction.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Thanks all. The parking along the road toward Ganavan is all short stay metered now, until well past the castle.

Will explore the parking permit. Or alternatively some street parking well up the hill behind St Columbia’s Cathedral
    Why not just use your bus pass?

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Why not just use your bus pass?
    Some of us not old enough for a bus pass yet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast