Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Known Universe
    Posts
    797

    Default Re: Studland MCZ decision coming soon

    Oh Goose for Dinner
    Please remember this is from a Scottish view and I have no real knowledge of English Law or Conservation Issues

    Wild deer, particularly red deer on the open hill, range freely over wide areas. There are no
    effective natural predators of deer in Scotland.
    If deer numbers are not controlled by man, they will expand until they reach the carrying capacity of the available habitat. Increasing deer
    numbers can lead to change in plant species composition and loss of habitats that are sensitive
    to grazing.
    I also do not like to name Drop but my Wife works for SEPA as a Dr Environmental scientist and her Postgraduate Supervisor working out of Stirling University also controls the Beaver experiment in Knapsadale when these creatures were introduced and she has followed this and is friends with the Scientists involved in this study
    So I appreciate newspapers , Wikipedia and the rest will come up with their own conclusion to Beaver habitat destruction but I have seen the Raw data and talked to the people actually on the ground day in day out following the beavers activity, this is why and this is Important this is why the Scottish Government has now allowed these animals back into the Fauna of Scotland and are now protected ,

    As to Red Deer they were brought over by the Romans and hence we assume they are Native because they were introduced so far back in time , therefore creating the argument in which how far back do you go before an animal or plant becomes native , or extinct then reintroduced, these are the Questions unanswered.
    A prime example being the Grey Squirrel been here for hundreds of years but is expressed as a non native species
    The reason that Buzzards are less because of the Red Kites is that the Buzzards were breeding out of control and know a balance has returned there is no law , that says a robin or a blue tit has more right to live than a Magpie , this is a human concept and human interference with the cycle of life as soon as you try and tinker within a top down predation or a food web you create a cascade effect that like a spiders Web will affect a string further along
    I am a pragmatic conservationist and understand a balance is needed I have 2 dogs a cat 10 fish and a Gecko called fizzy I like to enjoy the outdoors like everyone , but as I live in Scotland I also like to see wildlife and enjoy my Sailing , that is why I believe Scotland is a leading force in the UK for Conservation and access laws and I believe England needs to follow

    https://www.parliament.scot/Research...13-74.pdfazing
    Last edited by FlyingGoose; 09-05-19 at 12:47.
    Flying birds have no master

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,762

    Default Re: Studland MCZ decision coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    Oh Goose for Dinner
    Please remember this is from a Scottish view and I have no real knowledge of English Law or Conservation Issues

    Wild deer, particularly red deer on the open hill, range freely over wide areas. There are no
    effective natural predators of deer in Scotland.
    If deer numbers are not controlled by man, they will expand until they reach the carrying capacity of the available habitat. Increasing deer
    numbers can lead to change in plant species composition and loss of habitats that are sensitive
    to grazing.
    I also do not like to name Drop but my Wife works for SEPA as a Dr Environmental scientist and her Postgraduate Supervisor working out of Stirling University also controls the Beaver experiment in Knapsadale when these creatures were introduced and she has followed this and is friends with the Scientists involved in this study
    So I appreciate newspapers , Wikipedia and the rest will come up with their own conclusion to Beaver habitat destruction but I have seen the Raw data and talked to the people actually on the ground day in day out following the beavers activity, this is why and this is Important this is why the Scottish Government has now allowed these animals back into the Fauna of Scotland and are now protected ,

    As to Red Deer they were brought over by the Romans and hence we assume they are Native because they were introduced so far back in time , therefore creating the argument in which how far back do you go before an animal or plant becomes native , or extinct then reintroduced, these are the Questions unanswered.
    A prime example being the Grey Squirrel been here for hundreds of years but is expressed as a non native species
    The reason that Buzzards are less because of the Red Kites is that the Buzzards were breeding out of control and know a balance has returned there is no law , that says a robin or a blue tit has more right to live than a Magpie , this is a human concept and human interference with the cycle of life as soon as you try and tinker within a top down predation or a food web you create a cascade effect that like a spiders Web will affect a string further along
    I am a pragmatic conservationist and understand a balance is needed I have 2 dogs a cat 10 fish and a Gecko called fizzy I like to enjoy the outdoors like everyone , but as I live in Scotland I also like to see wildlife and enjoy my Sailing , that is why I believe Scotland is a leading force in the UK for Conservation and access laws and I believe England needs to follow

    https://www.parliament.scot/Research...13-74.pdfazing
    Totaly missing the point.

    Buzzards were never breeding out of control in the 47 years I have lived in South Oxfordshire.

    Red Kites are now breeding out of control.

    If you take account of other reports of those who rely on the land for a living-and to supply food-Beaver are becoming intrusive in some places.

    Some time ago I stated, and it has not been challenged, that we are good at managing wildlife in the UK. Management is also conservation-or do you disagree?

    There has been predation by humans, for money, of raptor chicks and eggs. One of my customers, a retired army officer, and a very tough guy-he was a 'Rupert' with the Regiment-would take his Royal Enfield motorbike and rudimentary camping gear and protect Golden Eagle nests in the Highlands. He kept the birds safe. Two guy's from Newcastle upon Tyne 'fell off the rocks' and were injured after meeting him and suggesting he Foxtrot Oscar while they robbed the nest.

    All we are suggesting is balance. Around here, at this time, there is unbalance.

    The question is, how do we address it? Guy's like you want unrestricted breeding when perhaps, as we are seeing in my area with Kite and Badgers, it is becoming a problem.

    Surely structured management is one answer.

    You say you understand balance is required, human management must be accepted as a suitable method as no predators exist now.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,129

    Default Re: Studland MCZ decision coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Packham and the BBC allowed themselves to be taken in by the ' Seahorse Trust ' - all one of him who takes public donations to further a lifestyle living on what happens to be the nicest sandy beach in England!

    They went for what appeared the ' cuddly fluffy angle ' instead of researching the situation first.

    As you say you know nothing about Studland.

    Packham and the BBC called sailors ' gin swilling wreckers of the environment ' while nothing could be further from the truth.

    I am one of many who complained to the BBC only to get a standard computerised response - and would like to see him and the unprofessional insulting people who also failed to research this subject apologise with an intelligently clued up programme based on the real facts - or be sacked for being inaccurate sensationalists.
    The stutland bay is going to be placed on the protected list, its a for gone conclusion.
    Free anchoring boaters pay no tax when doing anything for free which isn't cricket is it?

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Me North Dorset. Venezia in Portland.
    Posts
    3,601

    Default Re: Studland MCZ decision coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    OH decimating is such a word used to frequently to describe mass extinctions
    You do realise that Red Kites are natural to the Eco system of this country and were hunted to extinction and that if they are multiplying it means that there is plenty of food around and therefore a good healthy ecosystem, if you do not have top down predation you end up with an unbalanced ecosystem
    these Birds are not decimating anything but keeping natural selection in check therefore not allowing a dominant species to take over , and in hard winters or lack of food these birds will suffer , it is the natural order of things .
    This is why large predators are fewer in number than the predated .
    I lived in the Chilterns when they were first reintroduced on the Getty estate. My first sight of one was running along the road on a lovely Sept evening and seeing it lit from underneath, fantastic sight.

    As they started to spread and become popular people started to feed them, against the advice of Natural England and they definitely got overstocked. We used to have masses overhead when it was feeding time by one of my neighbours and they started to become quite annoying. If and when and others stopped feeding them it will be a problem.
    Adventure before dementia

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Surrey & boat in Dorset. Both have pubs
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Studland MCZ decision coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    The stutland bay is going to be placed on the protected list, its a for gone conclusion.
    Free anchoring boaters pay no tax when doing anything for free which isn't cricket is it?
    Anchoring isn't free in any means. The whole anchor system was taxed when purchased plus I pay tax when I go ashore to eat and drink. Overall I seem to pay a lot tax in the from of VAT to carry out my hobby/pastime/interest plus supporting local businesses in the goods purchased.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sussex / Hants
    Posts
    28,282

    Default Re: Studland MCZ decision coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by Boathook View Post
    Anchoring isn't free in any means. The whole anchor system was taxed when purchased plus I pay tax when I go ashore to eat and drink. Overall I seem to pay a lot tax in the from of VAT to carry out my hobby/pastime/interest plus supporting local businesses in the goods purchased.
    Exactly, the view from the Bankes Arms isn't free and helps the local economy, as do boats going on into Poole - as the Chamber Of Commerce should have worked out long ago
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Where life is good
    Posts
    13,244

    Default Re: Studland MCZ decision coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    Oh Goose for Dinner
    ...... but as I live in Scotland I also like to see wildlife and enjoy my Sailing , that is why I believe Scotland is a leading force in the UK for Conservation and access laws and I believe England needs to follow

    https://www.parliament.scot/Research...13-74.pdfazing
    Conservation is a hobby for people who like conservation. It is no more or less than that. Other hobbies include sailing (as demonstrated here?), opera, hill climbing, photography, horsey riding, motor racing, cycle racing, stamp collecting... there are even fans of the Austin Allegro (though perhaps they need help). It is interesting to observe there are very few conservation based magazines in the shelves at news agants. From that I infer that conservationists make up a very small portion of the overall population.

    Yet conservationists will argue their hobby is of paramount importance and that everyone else has to submit to the superiority of their hobby. They demand huge areas of land is reserved for their hobby and impose controls over other peoples lives whenever there is any conflict between themselves and the rest of the world.

    And right now a flying shitting thing is sat on top of my windex. It will probably shit all over my boat when if flies off and I will have to spend time and effort cleaning up.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Known Universe
    Posts
    797

    Default Re: Studland MCZ decision coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Conservation is a hobby for people who like conservation. It is no more or less than that. Other hobbies include sailing (as demonstrated here?), opera, hill climbing, photography, horsey riding, motor racing, cycle racing, stamp collecting... there are even fans of the Austin Allegro (though perhaps they need help). It is interesting to observe there are very few conservation based magazines in the shelves at news agants. From that I infer that conservationists make up a very small portion of the overall population.

    Yet conservationists will argue their hobby is of paramount importance and that everyone else has to submit to the superiority of their hobby. They demand huge areas of land is reserved for their hobby and impose controls over other peoples lives whenever there is any conflict between themselves and the rest of the world.

    And right now a flying shitting thing is sat on top of my windex. It will probably shit all over my boat when if flies off and I will have to spend time and effort cleaning up.
    Oh dear I never returned here because I have my views others there's and we are allowed to differ in a sensible argument , I think you will find that the majority of Scientists based in Conservation also work in their communities for local projects and bigger worldwide projects to save endangered habitat and fauna , without the effort of these people and their lobbying we would not have national parks which I sure you enjoy lake district , dales , or beautiful coast lines along Devon and Cornwall the list goes on the problem is we shout down these people call them interference
    tell them to get a life and yet we take from them that they have freely given to enhance all our life's , now it is up to you if you want to enjoy it or not , but you will be a minority of the 65 million of the UK that enjoy open spaces , wetlands, coasts protected, bays etc.
    So no Conservation is not just for the conservationist as Old Harry likes to tell us , we are surrounded by conservation no matter were we look so next time you like to take a pop at these people remember STOP think and look around and breathe your clean air and listen to the bird songs and watch the wildlife , because without conservation this would not happen
    I also wonder how many on these forumites have visited USA and visited their national parks Yosemite a key player , created by a conservationist from Scotland
    I appreciate I will get some response that belittles this but I am right and you know it so any response will only show that you either live in a dark cave or on the moon
    Flying birds have no master

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Where life is good
    Posts
    13,244

    Default Re: Studland MCZ decision coming soon

    All this conservation malarky is an odd thing.
    We like to walk. Not the macho "I walked the Penine way" sort of walking, but simply to plod from home to a pub in the next village (Essex) across so called valuable open "countryside". We never see anyone else. For all the importance of "environment" no one is taking any notice of it. The rest of the population is in the shopping mall or playing footie on a patch of man made grass.

    Thus you demonstrate my observation. So called conservation is a hobby for conservationists.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,579

    Default Re: Studland MCZ decision coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose/Moomba View Post
    ... but I am right
    Oh no you're not.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to