Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Studland MCZ decision coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    There's a huge difference between genuine conservationists and those trying to make a tv and/ or living on a beach career out of it...
    Some are both. For example, I have worked with Liz Bonnin and she is both very well informed and a bloody good presenter.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Lots of red kites in my neck of the woods, thanks to the Loch Ken reintroduction scheme. Local gamekepers have already started poisoning them - two found dead near my village alone.
    Shame really, as all raptors and beavers are protected species , especially in Scotland these animals are defined as a nuisance only to rich land owners trying to keep their Grouse and other shooting birds in numbers to allow well to do people to come up and shoot them.
    I really don't think Red Kites take that much of Game Birds to affect their population , I have seen many a Raptor take out pigeons , rabbits, mice, voles etc .
    Beavers in Scotland create habitat by creating natural wetlands which increases biodiversity of the Wild , a sterile land in no good for anyone but the Sheep.
    Just my 2 pence worth.
    It is also noted that farmers get EU subsides to allow farm land verges and hedge groves and trees to be on their land, so not all doom and gloom for the farming community .
    But way of Track sorry
    Flying birds have no master

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Lots of red kites in my neck of the woods, thanks to the Loch Ken reintroduction scheme. Local gamekepers have already started poisoning them - two found dead near my village alone.
    I doubt there are as many as we have in South Oxfordshire.

They were released in the early 80's around Stokenchurch and have multiplied to the extent of being urban pests in Didcot.
    I can see a dozen just from my lounge window this very moment.

Anybody know if DEFRA still on for publication, today being the 8th May?

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Anybody know if DEFRA still on for publication, today being the 8th May?
    A significant date in our family.

The second world war ended 8th May 1945, my father was demobbed 8th May 1946 from the RAF and I was born 8th May 1947-so its my Birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post

The second world war ended 8th May 1945, my father was demobbed 8th May 1946 from the RAF and I was born 8th May 1947-so its my Birthday!
    Happy Birthday
    Flying birds have no master

Oops I see the DEFRA announcement is 8th June!

Still, have a virtual pint on me or a real one if you venture in behind the Cumbrian Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    Shame really, as all raptors and beavers are protected species , especially in Scotland these animals are defined as a nuisance only to rich land owners trying to keep their Grouse and other shooting birds in numbers to allow well to do people to come up and shoot them.
    Absolutely. The landowners can now be fined as well as the gamekeepers, but as the fines are typically a derisory hundred quid or so - a small fraction of one day's shooting fees - they have no effect at all. Very attractive bird, your red kite, and I often see them when (back on topic) sailing on Loch Ken.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I doubt there are as many as we have in South Oxfordshire.

They were released in the early 80's around Stokenchurch and have multiplied to the extent of being urban pests in Didcot.
    I can see a dozen just from my lounge window this very moment.
    Yes, a major error by the conservationists as they didn't expect them to multiply to the extent that they have. They are also decimating the smaller bird populations.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

What, Seahorses ?
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast