Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Belgium Again!

Default Re: Belgium Again!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    The default postion on the self service pontoons would have to be 100% fuel duty. If your a commercial operator you are probably VAT regd so should be able to claim back the overcharge, if no one from the marina is available to dispense fuel at lower rate and dye it.

Anyone regd for VAT is already working on trust for HMRC so no change, there is nothing to stop them 'test purchasing' so see if some one is operating a fiddle.
    It wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to have an automatic dosing option available so that you could select white or red. The receipt could be configured to show what was bought and its VAT payment status.

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    But that would require HMRC to trust the pump operator - or even the boat owner on self-service fuel berths.
    Just as they do know when they ask us to declare how much fuel duty we want to pay.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    The default postion on the self service pontoons would have to be 100% fuel duty. If your a commercial operator you are probably VAT regd so should be able to claim back the overcharge, if no one from the marina is available to dispense fuel at lower rate and dye it.
    How hard would it be to devise a pump which could dispense at "leisure" and "commercial" prices, adding dye as it dispenses in the later case? As a matter of interest, is the additive which turns unleaded into super unleaded added in the tanks or in the pump?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    ... As a matter of interest, is the additive which turns unleaded into super unleaded added in the tanks or in the pump?
    I'm not sure what the current practice is, but it was the case that those additives were added to the fuel tanker at the depot. I worked right next to Buncefield before the explosion (my office was reduced to a pile of bricks) and we got to know some of the tanker drivers - they were issued with a bucket of additive to pour into the tank as it was being filled up.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    I'm not sure what the current practice is, but it was the case that those additives were added to the fuel tanker at the depot. I worked right next to Buncefield before the explosion (my office was reduced to a pile of bricks) and we got to know some of the tanker drivers - they were issued with a bucket of additive to pour into the tank as it was being filled up.
    Ta.

That was one hell of an explosion! I remember I was driving down the M40 somewhere near Oxford and looking over to the west at a column of smoke rising into the sky in the very far distance and thinking what the hell is that.

Richard

Lucky it happened at five in the morning eh? I remember hearing the bang from about twenty miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    Lucky it happened at five in the morning eh? I remember hearing the bang from about twenty miles away.
    Our house is about four or five miles from Buncefield, down in the valley and we were there at the time of the explosion. Our bedroom faces away from the industrial area and I was half awake when it went bang - I honestly didn't hear it! The stairs creaked and I saw the curtain move a bit - I did wonder if we had a burglar in the house, but there were no more noises, so I turned over and went back to sleep. I got out of bed a couple of hours later and went to the kitchen to make a cup of tea - as I passed a north facing window, I wondered what the glow was - turned on the TV and realised that hell had broken out. At that time, I was working for Mc Donnell Douglas which was the closest building to the depot. A three storey building collapsed to about twenty feet high - on a weekday we would have had close to 500 people in it - possibly more!

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England

We were in Oostende on Wednesday and had a visit from Belgium Customs. Having filled up purely on white Diesel for the last couple of years, I wasn't too worried. They very politely requested permission to come on board to check our documentation and a fuel check. We welcomed them aboard with a handshake and I produced my folder of documents handing them my passport, SSR certificate and Bill of Sale, rummaging through my documents I asked if they wanted proof of VAT (my boat started its life in Guernsey and was later imported back into the UK), "No we are not interested in that."
    Two officers sat in the cockpit whilst the third asked if he could go below asking if we had excessive drinks or illegal substances. We replied it had all been drunk. The documents were photographed and everything was very light hearted with laughter from all on board.
    Nothing further was said about fuel, we were thanked for our cooperation and wished a safe onward journey with a further hand shake.
    Another team carried out a similar check on one of the boats with us with the same attitudes and actions. I suspect if we hadn't complied with the correct documentation or been awkward, our tanks may have been dipped.

Excellent news, perhaps also adding this to the the East Coast section would be good info for them too

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819 LastLast