Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Belgium Again!

Default Re: Belgium Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    Fuelling from Tesco is only an option if you have really small tanks.
    And as has been discussed before has the FAME problem with it.

Is Belgium the only EU nation which is enforcing the law? If so, why can they not be practical and pragmatic like the other nations?

The EU ruling may well have been made, but it will take time for wheels to turn, and even when decisions have been made there is still the problem of eliminating the dye from tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Decriminalisation of cannabis, assisted suicides via Dignity to name but two, not critically but as an observation. I think the UK would be a better place if the separation of powers was strictly observed but it is not and so the police and CPS make up 'law' on the hoof. I suspect the same political meddling with the rule of law takes place in Belgium.
    Err no. CPS is not the Police nor HMRC. The police are still reporting individuals as per the law, not on every occasion of course, but they are still so doing, in both of the situations that you mention.

Certainly here in the UK. I now fill with white as there doesn't seem to be much of price difference and we do not have large tanks.
    However, in Ostend last year, there is no diesel near the harbour and garages are not allowed in the town/city centres, they must be on the outskirts. So you have to transport diesel in cans to the boat in Belgium.

OK in Netherlands round the corner so outbound we managed until we got to Flushing and, on the return journey filled up in Breskens.
    However, the problem is not really where to fill up, it is that you cannot be in Belgium with red diesel.

It's not that hard for an actual sailing yacht with an auxillary motor.

No it just takes several or more trips with 5 gallon cans, typically 8 or less from scratch ( 2 cans) and the wit to top up each time you visit the boat. Unless of course you have a stink pot

Quote Originally Posted by Poecheng View Post
    Certainly here in the UK. I now fill with white as there doesn't seem to be much of price difference and we do not have large tanks.
    As a matter of interest, how has it affected the colour in the tank?

I tried this a couple of years ago and the tank colour got darker and darker after adding white. It looks as though the FAME had reacted with the copper pipes.

Much easier to avoid Belgium than cleaning the whole system out and permanently changing to non marine diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    It's not that hard for an actual sailing yacht with an auxillary motor.
    That's a rather jack comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pye_End View Post
    And as has been discussed before has the FAME problem with it.

Is Belgium the only EU nation which is enforcing the law? If so, why can they not be practical and pragmatic like the other nations?

The EU ruling may well have been made, but it will take time for wheels to turn, and even when decisions have been made there is still the problem of eliminating the dye from tanks.
    I put a new Yanmar in a boat at the same time renewed the fuel lines and filters cleaned the tank and ran the boat for 8 years without injector, pump or bug problems on supermarket white the tank was 45 gallons. In the previous 5 years the boat had a several bug issues despite cleaning the tank and using additives, I put it down to contaminated fuel from marinas.
    Last edited by Fr J Hackett; 04-05-19 at 20:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Pye_End View Post
    As a matter of interest, how has it affected the colour in the tank?

I tried this a couple of years ago and the tank colour got darker and darker after adding white. It looks as though the FAME had reacted with the copper pipes.

Much easier to avoid Belgium than cleaning the whole system out and permanently changing to non marine diesel.
    That is probably true for most but there are a few diehards that live on Amstel or other such muck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    That is probably true for most but there are a few diehards that live on Amstel or other such muck.
    Don't think (or at least I hope you won't) you'll find Amstel in Belgium, try further north......

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast