Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Belgium Again!

Default Re: Belgium Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    That is probably true for most but there are a few diehards that live on Amstel or other such muck.
    Err, Amstel is from Amsterdam (the clue is in than name) in the Netherlands. Are you really that ignorant?

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    Err, Amstel is from Amsterdam (the clue is in than name) in the Netherlands. Are you really that ignorant?
    Yup try Duval then.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Pye_End View Post
    As a matter of interest, how has it affected the colour in the tank?

I tried this a couple of years ago and the tank colour got darker and darker after adding white. It looks as though the FAME had reacted with the copper pipes.

Much easier to avoid Belgium than cleaning the whole system out and permanently changing to non marine diesel.
    Well, for interested parties, the Diesel in our almost 900 litre tank is brown.

Brown is the colour you get when you mix Irish green Diesel with British red Diesel.

If it becomes a problem I suggest regular visitors to Belgium mark the tank with red in as " Heating/generator fuel only."

Have a small portable tank with feed and return made up and filled with white clearly marked " Propulsion only."

Providing, of course, Diesel heating or electricity generation exists on said vessel.
    Last edited by rotrax; 05-05-19 at 13:17.

I was boarded by Customs in Nieuwpoort only last week. Belgian boat, Belgian owner. They checked paperwork, inquired when the boat was last in the UK and checked the diesel (see through filter bowl was ok, otherwise they would have dipped the tank). A routine check, no matter whether you’re Belgian or foreign.
    When I asked about UK boats, they referred to the law and the verdict of the European Court of Justice. They realise it is an awkward situation and they informally told me that some officers might turn a blind eye. But they also said the plain fact is that the directive on marked diesel has been in force for over 20 years and I have to admit there is no arguing with that.
    I might add that diesel checks by Customs are not confined to yachts, they routinely do checks on road vehicles and still find people using red diesel, so they still see the need to enforce the rules.

And some folk wonder why we opted to leave !

So when we do eventually leave does this mean we can then treat the 60/40 guideline with the contempt it deserves and simply buy our red diesel at 0% additional duty ?
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post

So when we do eventually leave does this mean we can then treat the 60/40 guideline with the contempt it deserves and simply buy our red diesel at 0% additional duty ?
    I doubt the UK will revert to 0% tax for leisure boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Pye_End View Post
    As a matter of interest, how has it affected the colour in the tank?

I tried this a couple of years ago and the tank colour got darker and darker after adding white. It looks as though the FAME had reacted with the copper pipes.

Much easier to avoid Belgium than cleaning the whole system out and permanently changing to non marine diesel.
    I moved from Red to White in the winter of 2017/18 due to fuel bug in the red. I strongly suspected that the turn over of the red where I bought it was not great and that that is where I got "infected".

To date I have had no problem with white fuel, I use Shell V Power on the recommendation of a diesel mechanic, and use very little - about 40 ltrs a year - don't find it an issue. I also just fill with what I need, thus the fuel is "fresher" as they are now saying that diesel now has a shelf life of about 12 months.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    Since the breacherous usually moan about other EU countries failing to follow the rules, it's a refreshing change to read complaints about other countries sticking to them.

Only if you think that reducing the duty paid on fossil fuel by leisure boaters is likely to be a priority for a future government. And even if it is, having red diesel in your tanks when visiting Belgium will still be illegal.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Since the breacherous usually moan about other EU countries failing to follow the rules, it's a refreshing change to read complaints about other countries sticking to them.

Only if you think that reducing the duty paid on fossil fuel by leisure boaters is likely to be a priority for a future government. And even if it is, having red diesel in your tanks when visiting Belgium will still be illegal.
    That depends on just what sort of Brexit transpires, if it is a complete divorce then they cannot legally do anything as it becomes a question of international law however if the UK remains tied to the EU then they will continue to enforce the no colour law.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    As long as you can get genuine Amstel brewed in Amsterdam using the brackish Amsterdam water it’s a great beer, the Amstel sold in the UK brewed over here isn’t Amstel it’s just a homogenous c**p. Same goes for the ‘fake’ Heineken sold in the UK.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast