Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Belgium Again!

Default Re: Belgium Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    The chap who was the subject of the OP, would have been wise not to have filled his tank in Dover, but filled asap on first arrival in Belgium, he would then have had a nice Belgian invoice & white fuel. Thus saving €500
    Only if he sailed to the fuel berth, tanks bone dry and cleaned the filter. Even then, the last drops of red in the fuel lines might make it pink enough...

This is my problem with enforcing the directive: many boats have been on the dry since last autumn, with more or less red in their bellies, resumed sailing maybe few weeks-days ago. Do they actually have to spend cleaning on their formerly legally filled fuel systems? Red traces, especially in some sailing boats will be there for 5+years even after a country-wide ban on red diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post
    Only if he sailed to the fuel berth, tanks bone dry and cleaned the filter. Even then, the last drops of red in the fuel lines might make it pink enough...

This is my problem with enforcing the directive: many boats have been on the dry since last autumn, with more or less red in their bellies, resumed sailing maybe few weeks-days ago. Do they actually have to spend cleaning on their formerly legally filled fuel systems? Red traces, especially in some sailing boats will be there for 5+years even after a country-wide ban on red diesel.
    See post 44

Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post

See post 44

There is actually a limit in terms of detection of dye stuffs within the EU legislation ( I can't be arsed to find it for you but it has been quoted in forum discussions) However if you have any trace of red and there will be in the tank and filter bowl unless you purge and steam clean the tank you will see visual traces of red dye which is enough to get you into trouble.
    Having said all of that it isn't my problem and wouldn't be if I still kept a boat on the East Coast as my tanks were clean but if you think you can get away with it give it a try and let us know how you get on.

See post 44
    What about that? Before the court ruling (not the directive) the local legislation allowed the use of red - or its blend. Meaning, the boater, who is subject of British law, not EU directives, legally bought red fuel in the UK.
    True however, that a country may sanction marked fuel, but quite weird doing so after they made clear official communication in the opposite direction.

More, I wonder why just Belgium? Thousands of UK boats visit Norway, France, Netherlands, the Med - haven't heard any similar stories...
    Last edited by GTom; 05-05-19 at 17:04.

The chap who was the subject of the OP, would have been wise not to have filled his tank in Dover, but filled asap on first arrival in Belgium, he would then have had a nice Belgian invoice & white fuel. Thus saving €500
    Maybe he thought he was being wise by reading whatvthe Belgian authorities said and complying. Or maybe he didn't and the receipt wasn't signed & insufficient. Or maybe on a web forum people are making assumptions on events based on scant 2nd hand information ..... Such is the way of forums

My tanks hold 400 ltrs so I shan't be switching to exclusively white unless all the SW fuel pontoons have it on offer.
    Belgium isn't in my normal cruising grounds. I guess it won't be in the foreseeable future!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Maybe he thought he was being wise by reading whatvthe Belgian authorities said and complying. Or maybe he didn't and the receipt wasn't signed & insufficient. Or maybe on a web forum people are making assumptions on events based on scant 2nd hand information ..... Such is the way of forums
    The full information is on the CA site but I believe that to copy and paste it here would not be ethical. There is clear information, shown above, that as recently as March 2019 the CA was assured that there would be no prosecutions.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    As long as you can get genuine Amstel brewed in Amsterdam using the brackish Amsterdam water it’s a great beer, the Amstel sold in the UK brewed over here isn’t Amstel it’s just a homogenous c**p. Same goes for the ‘fake’ Heineken sold in the UK.
    Completely true, but none are Belgian, except to the more cerebrally challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    The full information is on the CA site but I believe that to copy and paste it here would not be ethical. There is clear information, shown above, that as recently as March 2019 the CA was assured that there would be no prosecutions.
    Was there a prosecution in this latest case or was a fixed-penalty notice paid to avoid prosecution?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Maybe he just had "Marked" fuel in his tank. It is apparently reported / published by the CA so one can only assume it to be correct

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast