Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Belgium Again!

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: Belgium Again!

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Was there a prosecution in this latest case or was a fixed-penalty notice paid to avoid prosecution?
    Fixed penalty. The owner was quite shocked and upset, left Nieuwport immediately.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

I could live with the Belgians if... if, they would compromise..
    ... and would accept filling with white fuel on arrival in Belgium

Yes there is residue of ref fuel, but at least I have bought local fuel. Until there is clarity and no chnace of being fined, I will not go to Belgium.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Looked up the Belgian customes offices and found an email address..

info.douane@minfin.fed.be

I am sending them an email explaining I want to visit Oostend, but I am not prepared to risk a huge fine and asking what practical arrangements are in place.

If everyone does similar, they might get a sense of it being a problem.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    Maybe he just had "Marked" fuel in his tank. It is apparently reported / published by the CA so one can only assume it to be correct
    Both sound very likely. As is the statement from Belgium saying no problem this year, we'll let you know if we change our minds. So no reason for the guy to think otherwise, no reason.

One thought though, good thing the CA/RYA are around to fight stuff like this.

And if it was just a lone incident ignoring or unaware of the official stance or higher up tjere was a change of mind and they forgot to tell anyone, then it's blown it for Belgium, few will trust them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Sounds like they have either reneged of were unaware of an agreement then. Bit naughty of them.
    Apart from the unfortunate chap who was fined €500, it’s the Belgian marinas and businesses who will be the losers. I was contemplating taking my boat that way, but with over 3000 litres of red in my tanks it’s most definitely on my personal black list.

It’s a real shame, as all the Belgians I know are delightful people.

The whole principal behind EU law is completely wrong. The colour of diesel is not important it is whether it whether it was bought in the EU and if so was it taxed when paid for. Boats move around the planet and fuel can be marked at any location, I have no idea what colour the fuel is in Tunisia, Turkey, Montenegro, Gibraltar or the Channel Islands. What I do know it is is quite legal to fill up in these places. It is also a nonsense to be fined for entering the EU with fuel purchased from these places.

All the EU needs to do is make sure that there is no rebated fuel available to boats within the EU. the chances of being able to buy fuel at a commercial outlet in the EU is almost 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    The whole principal behind EU law is completely wrong. The colour of diesel is not important it is whether it whether it was bought in the EU and if so was it taxed when paid for. Boats move around the planet and fuel can be marked at any location, I have no idea what colour the fuel is in Tunisia, Turkey, Montenegro, Gibraltar or the Channel Islands. What I do know it is is quite legal to fill up in these places. It is also a nonsense to be fined for entering the EU with fuel purchased from these places.

All the EU needs to do is make sure that there is no rebated fuel available to boats within the EU. the chances of being able to buy fuel at a commercial outlet in the EU is almost 0.
    And have been thus for over 2 decades.
    So much for the RYA & HMG sorting this issue

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Apart from the unfortunate chap who was fined €500, it’s the Belgian marinas and businesses who will be the losers. I was contemplating taking my boat that way, but with over 3000 litres of red in my tanks it’s most definitely on my personal black list.

It’s a real shame, as all the Belgians I know are delightful people.
    The UK also suffers... Can't see too many Belgian yachts coming this way unless the have big tanks or like trips to petrol stations

Quote Originally Posted by RivalRedwing View Post
    The UK also suffers... Can't see too many Belgian yachts coming this way unless the have big tanks or like trips to petrol stations
    Here’s an email I received last year;

Good morning Murphy

Thank you for your enquiry.

We presently serve three fuels for leisure vessels at Ramsgate from our own fuel barge; these are FAME free red marine gas oil, white diesel (not FAME free) and unleaded petrol.

We're hoping that in line with the recent ruling, the industry will soon be in a position to be able to provide FAME free white diesel.
    Kind regards

Robert Brown.

Harbour Master & Marine Operations Manager

Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...m5wFgcxTyjr.99

So white is available for visiting craft from the EU but only in Ramsgate! (Southwold were selling white but I’m not sure if they still do)
    Pardon?

CA link if it hasn't been posted already. They've blown it this time..

https://www.theca.org.uk/rats/red_diesel_use_in_EU

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast