Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Belgium Again!

Default Re: Belgium Again!

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    CA link if it hasn't been posted already. They've blown it this time..

https://www.theca.org.uk/rats/red_diesel_use_in_EU
    If I was a Belgian Customs officer I don't think I would be taking too much notice of a document that looks like it has been knocked up on a word processor with no official letterhead or signature of the writer.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Thankfully Belgium has a short easily-missable coastline and it’s hardly unmissable!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
    Assurances were given that a blind eye would be turned pending a final EU court ruling.
    That ruling has now been made and the UK was held to be in the wrong.

Like it or not, but whilst we are still EU members we have to abide by EU law.
    If another EU country now actively enforces EU law, what the **** is the ****ing problem?

And as has been stated many times before, it was never about whether 60/40 or 100% tax, it was about the COLOUR of our diesel.
    Somewhere there is a document that says that the Belgium authorities will allow red if receipts are available for 100% duty paid on it. Another sly, on the face of it, concession but in real life it doesnt happen. Any one who visits that silly little non country (split by language issues!) that cant even form a govt and leave it to officials to run, well what can you say?

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    Somewhere there is a document that says that the Belgium authorities will allow red if receipts are available for 100% duty paid on it. Another sly, on the face of it, concession but in real life it doesnt happen. Any one who visits that silly little non country (split by language issues!) that cant even form a govt and leave it to officials to run, well what can you say?
    Mebe we could learn how they manage without a government, Oh we have one already that cant govern

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    Boats move around the planet and fuel can be marked at any location, I have no idea what colour the fuel is in Tunisia, Turkey, Montenegro, Gibraltar or the Channel Islands. What I do know it is is quite legal to fill up in these places. It is also a nonsense to be fined for entering the EU with fuel purchased from these places.
    It is quite legal to buy cannabis when your boat is in the Netherlands, but that doesn't mean you legally can bring it back to the UK with you.

That said, I agree that using the presence of dye is a bit of a coarse tool, particularly since the same dye could well be in legally bought fuel from elsewhere.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    Mebe we could learn how they manage without a government, Oh we have one already that cant govern
    Correct, run by unelected officials such as the Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Fixed penalty. The owner was quite shocked and upset, left Nieuwport immediately.
    In that case, perhaps it was an uninformed or over-officious customs official and no presecution, as promised, would have followed if the owner had not accepted the fixed penalty.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    In that case, perhaps it was an uninformed or over-officious customs official and no presecution, as promised, would have followed if the owner had not accepted the fixed penalty.
    His risk would have been the impounding of his boat, he would need to be very bloody minded and have big cojones and at the end of the day when it went to the ECJ the ruling would be against him as it is contrary to the EU directive to have coloured diesel in the tanks of a private leisure vessel for propulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    . Any one who visits that silly little non country (split by language issues!)
    Wales, do you mean?

And who are you to tell people what countries they ought not to visit?
    'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

On a broader issue I think the Union rule about fuel duty is a travesty.

Consider shipping a container across the Union. If you put it on a lorry, the haulier pays fuel duty. But if you put it on a barge .. the shipping company doesn't pay fuel duty as it's commercial shipping. Yet the container is still the same and is being moved across Europe.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast