Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Sad to see.......

Pete & Clare also relate the two times Transcur caught fire.

[QUOTE=Minn;6783760]The un-named Good Samaritans in Frank’s book -
    /QUOTE]

Thanks Minn, I love reading that sort of detailed history on here.

Peter.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by ianc1200 View Post
    Pete & Clare also relate the two times Transcur caught fire.
    I think a visit from a Feng Shui expert may be a good idea.

I went to a wonderful talk by Frank Mulville many years ago at Manchester Cruising Association.

I've just ordered a copy of the Terschelling book and will read it on the Harwich ferry while on our way to the Hook (and Amsterdam).
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterWright View Post

Thanks Minn, I love reading that sort of detailed history on here.

Peter.

I wonder how many boats Frank Mulville wrecked or nearly wrecked? Close to it with Iskra a couple of times (Iskra herself had to be towed into Shotley a couple of months ago with engine failure).

Like many of us, I had met Frank once or twice. I suppose that the more sailing you do, the more likely you are to have the odd prang. I think he had a misfortune with a big boat on the coast of Cuba, after he sold Transcur and before he bought Iskra, but I might be imagining that.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Like many of us, I had met Frank once or twice. I suppose that the more sailing you do, the more likely you are to have the odd prang. I think he had a misfortune with a big boat on the coast of Cuba, after he sold Transcur and before he bought Iskra, but I might be imagining that.
    No, I don't think you're imagining it. That misfortune was the loss of Girl Stella, an elderly gaff ketch that had started life as a Looe lugger. It is all vividly described by Frank in another of his many books, In Granma's Wake.

While in Cuba they had spent 24 hours on a reef but were rescued. In 1969 they were on their return voyage to England when Girl Stella was wrecked while anchored in a cove in the Azores.

The relevant excerpt from Granma's Wake (Girl Stella's Going) is included in my dad's book Total Loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Harber View Post
    No, I don't think you're imagining it. That misfortune was the loss of Girl Stella, an elderly gaff ketch that had started life as a Looe lugger. It is all vividly described by Frank in another of his many books, In Granma's Wake.

While in Cuba they had spent 24 hours on a reef but were rescued. In 1969 they were on their return voyage to England when Girl Stella was wrecked while anchored in a cove in the Azores.

The relevant excerpt from Granma's Wake (Girl Stella's Going) is included in my dad's book Total Loss.
    Thanks, Jan. That’s where I read it.

By the way, have you ever thought of updating it with additional new cases and publishing a new edition? It’s a jolly good book.

So perhaps we could move this literary discussion to the book club and find out what happened to the poor sods sunken boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    So perhaps we could move this literary discussion to the book club and find out what happened to the poor sods sunken boat.
    See post 14, above. If the poor owner wants to tell us more, that's up to him or her as the case may be.
    Last edited by Kukri; 14-05-19 at 09:51.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast