Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Sad to see.......

Quote Originally Posted by Leighb View Post
    It is a bilge keeler, and was sitting in the same place quite close to shore today at LW, perhaps he has it there so he can work on it, rather than having been blown off a mooring?
    Quite possibly. It didn't look to be in distress or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    I saw a red hulled sailing boat very close to the shore just south of the Orwell bridge on 1 May, with a chap apparently working on it; I think he was in the water at the bow. We were on the road the width of a field from the river, though.
    I think thatís my neighbours Parker 275. He ran it aground deliberately to do some measurements on the prop.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    I think thatís my neighbours Parker 275. He ran it aground deliberately to do some measurements on the prop.
    Looks more like 17ft than 27.

The nic 26 is safely alongside Oyc pontoon and is due to be lifted . My boat is already in the water so
    Owner using my cradle to make repairs. Reasonably heart breaking for the owner I expect.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

This seems to happen on the Orwell. Remember when Pete’s beautiful smack TRANSCUR sank at Pin Mill - wash from passing vessel knocked his toolbox off a shelf and it smashed a seacock?

[QUOTE=Minn;6783021]This seems to happen on the Orwell. Remember when Pete’s beautiful smack TRANSCUR sank at Pin Mill - wash from passing vessel knocked his toolbox off a shelf and it smashed a seacock?[/QUOTEs

Is that ck 365 or so? Grey with a blue cavita line/stripe? Sure it is, lovely boat, went abroad it in Belgium, beautiful beautiful thing. I didn’t know that had happened, it’s your worst nightmare.

The ship traffic used to be bigger and at lowish water would really chuck moored boats about as they sucked all the water out and surged it back in again-I,m not a scientist, you get the idea,- the river seems to be too silted up for big boys now. I hate the idea of my boat being subject to that keel twisting motion.

Quote Originally Posted by WF36 View Post
    Wow, is that transcur? That would take a lot of physical and mental energy to recover from that. That boat is a credit to him.

Pete would be able to confirm this, but I believe CK365 Transcur was originally built in 1895 by Aldous at Brightlingsea. By the 1960s she had been converted to Bermudan rig and was owned by Frank Mulville.

In a gale during a cruise to Denmark, with his wife and her cousin plus their two small boys as crew, Transcur fetched up on Terschelling Sands,. The crew got ashore in the liferaft while Frank remained on board.

The dramatic story of how Transcur was saved is told by Frank in his book Terschelling Sands A sailing family's hazardous battle with the North Sea, published by Herbert Jenkins in 1968.

Transcur is a smack with an amazing history of survival against the odds.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

The un-named Good Samaritans in Frank’s book - un-named at their request, due to modesty - are the Doeksen family who for the past century and more have run the Harlingen-Terschelling ferry services along with a very well regarded salvage business. They were friends of the Pyes (“Moonraker of Fowey”) and others. In forty odd years in merchant shipping they stand out as the nicest people. The salvage tug “Holland”, now run by a preservation society, was built for them, out of British war reparations for sinking her predecessor, in 1950. She’s an unusual salvage tug as she has a passenger certificate for 700 so she could double up as a ferry in the summers.

Last edited by Minn; 11-05-19 at 08:55.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast