Default How to test battery charger

My Sealine F36 has it's original 1999 Phase Three battery charger
    Anyone know how I can check it is charging the batteries when plugged in to shore power?
    See the rainbow not the rain

Default Re: How to test battery charger

The ammeter on the dash board shows the batteries are charging when the engines are running, the needle is well into the green
    But when I get back to my berth and plug in the ammeter show only a slight defection into the green
    I have just replaced all four batteries and suspect they are not charging unless the engines are running

Engines / charger off, boat rested for at least 24 hrs - measure battery voltage. Expect in the region of 12.6 -12.8v

Turn charger on, measure battery voltage at the terminals with the charger on - expect a higher voltage than the rested off charge batteries. Give it a few hours, measure the voltage at the battery terminals again, expect 13-14.5v if the charger is working. Donít know exact output of charger - old ones can be as low as 13.8v, but more likely to be around 14.4/14.6v.

Thanks for that, will give it a go

When on shore power is you turn on your batteries they should show about 12.5 - 12.6 volts. If you then turn one you Battery Charger and watch the voltmeter if it kicks after a second or 2 to between 13 - 14.6 volts the charger will be working

If it is the original charger and it has gone smile because there is a lovely Victron one you can replace it with. I had to this year and it actually turned out to be a good thing..... Thread on here

Hope this helps

Dennis
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.