Default Sailaway / Esail Any use?

Quite shocked that there appear to be no recent threads considering the nature of the game and that YBW has done an article or two on them.

Does anyone use these simulators? Do you find them accurate useful? I found myself on a bit of a taster session struggling to get to grips with certain things and feel some practice in a safe environment might help.

Are there any other simulators that you would recommend (re-sailing or Navigation-wise)?

Default Re: Sailaway / Esail Any use?

Esail is pretty good. There's a whole series of lessons on terminology, navigation, adjusting the sails, reefing, anchoring etc. Then you can take part in challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    Quite shocked that there appear to be no recent threads considering the nature of the game and that YBW has done an article or two on them.
    You must shock very easily.

Richard

Well, when you come to a Sailing forum and most people are more concerned with Brexit than y'know...sailing, I guess I shouldn't be so shocked .

Cheers for that Fiddlesticks, I think I'll take a look into getting it then. Are there any groups on here that engage with that kind of thing or is it just brawling in the lounge?

As an alternative, as old fashioned as it sounds, most people here, err, go sailing......

Working on it! (See other thread in the Bristol Channel area). Unfortunately, I'm struggling to find any day sailing opportunities (need to get home).

Right then, this works quite happily with Linux via the Steam Beta (Esail that is).

Although I seem to be spending most of my time in Irons :|. Turn the motor on it says *turns motor on* *immediately turns motor off due to horrendous noise*. Seriously -_-, apparently you just reverse outta the damned situation (rudder to opposite side as boat is pushed back ala three-point-turn). For those that know how to sail and have a boat, it might not be as fun as the real thing but it certainly gets you thinking. I'm guessing I'll need to draw myself up some flash cards and quiz myself on the process. The graphics aren't the best in the world, but I hear the boat behaves as would be expected. (I shall make it my quest to capsize).

If someone wouldn't mind throwing me a few pointers, would be greatly appreciated. (For example, any tips on getting those Jib telltales to line up? Or any useful mnemonics for setting up and getting sailing?)