Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What hand saw do you carry aboard

Hand saw reccomendation required. I usually carry a hacksaw but occasionally need to cut wood. A conventional wood saw is a bit big to carry and prone to rust. Ideally I need a deep wood saw blade to fit the hack saw but can't find any. Pull saw maybe?

Default Re: What hand saw do you carry aboard

I carry one of the newer generation cross cut saws. Like a rip but finer teeth. The newer ones are much shorter and throw away at the price. No sharpening.
    thin film of oil and wrapped in cloth. Never had a rust problem. Only for "emergency" use though. If I'm making something then I take my tools from home.

I have a small and big hacksaw plus a smallish wood saw around 18" overall length. A wood saw in a hacksaw frame would limit the length of the cut. Wood saws do seem to rust but on my boat it takes some time and if I remembered to oil the blade after use it would take even longer!

Keep a short Fat Max medium tooth on board, still in its cardboard sheath. Soft bees wax stops it rusting.

On the previous 24' boat, with a very small tool locker, I carried a junior hacksaw frame and a plastic sleeve of both metal and wood blades sprayed with WD40.

I transferred this to the current boat, and also added a full-sized hacksaw and blades and a "toolbox size" panel saw - it doesn't actually fit in my toolbox but "toolbox size" is the term to look for for a more compact and easily stowed saw.

Pete

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

B&Q cross cut saw (£6-7) plus big and small hacksaws and loads of blades. The cross cut has lasted a few years so far with a rub down of candle wax after use (always have lots of tea lights on board as the Admiral likes small lanterns in the cockpit in the evening),

A hacksaw and a pad saw, which is compact with the blade retracted. There is a very effective saw on my Swiss Army Knife too.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

1) wood crosscut panel saw
    2)wood tenon/back hand saw
    3) 2 hacksaw with different blades
    4) Stanley 4 way keyhole saw
    5) various size hole saw with arbour

Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

A coping saw with a pack of spare blades. I do not expect to have to cut much wood on my GRP yacht & a coping saw will handles GRP & also some softer aluminium in small quantities in an emergency (although I cannot imagine what that emergency might be) This is really a fall back from my last 2 wooden boats. have not used it in the last 16 years though. Just know that if I leave it behind I will need it!!!
    Personally, apart from a small hacksaw I can see no real reason to carry any saw, Perhaps, a metal & wood cutting blade for a Stanley knife.
    What does one expect to need it for,(yeah I know - cutting things) when sailing, unless long term liveaboard?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast