Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default What do they teach people these days!!!

Lovely sail this weekend down to Fowey; if a bit chilly!

Coming back into Plymouth we were heading broadly on a northly heading just east of Drake's Island; under engine with no sails up.

Along comes Mr Tourist boat heading broadly in north eastly direction; to the west i.e. on our port side. We were clearly on a collision course given relative speeds and heading, but as I'm the stand on vessel, I "stood on"! Boy you should have seen the skipper of the Tourist boat when he had to back off on the engines to what looked like neutral! He was not happy...!!!! Most of the tourist were a bit perplexed as well!

Makes you question what these people are taught to get their commercial ticket! Or did he think he was driving a white van?

( I had more than enough time to manoeuvre to avoid him if needed; so it wasn't anything last minute; but I suspect he thought so!)

Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

He will have a timetable to stick to. I usually give them a wide berth and enjoy my day.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderace View Post
    Lovely sail this weekend down to Fowey; if a bit chilly!

Coming back into Plymouth we were heading broadly on a northly heading just east of Drake's Island; under engine with no sails up.

Along comes Mr Tourist boat heading broadly in north eastly direction; to the west i.e. on our port side. We were clearly on a collision course given relative speeds and heading, but as I'm the stand on vessel, I "stood on"! Boy you should have seen the skipper of the Tourist boat when he had to back off on the engines to what looked like neutral! He was not happy...!!!! Most of the tourist were a bit perplexed as well!

Makes you question what these people are taught to get their commercial ticket! Or did he think he was driving a white van?

( I had more than enough time to manoeuvre to avoid him if needed; so it wasn't anything last minute; but I suspect he thought so!)
    Just wave your thanks for his complying and ignore the scowls. Life is too short to worry about these things.
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    He will have a timetable to stick to. I usually give them a wide berth and enjoy my day.

Better seamanship imho. Not a great idea pushing it..

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Just wave your thanks for his complying and ignore the scowls. Life is too short to worry about these things.
    That was all he got from me!

Just amazes me the level of incompetency; especially from somebody who (should) have a commercial ticket!

I was annoyed as I wanted to get the kettle on for a cup of tea; but thought I should waite till he was done doing whatever he was doing!!!!

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Sage advice....

And if yer in that neck of the woods, it’s the Mountbatten ferry you really have to watch for....

Since relocating to the east coast otoh, I’ve found the old Thames barges to be the ones you need to watch... one of the damn things nearly ran me over in broad daylight coming up my backside... (he was motoring btw...). And there is a restaurant boat out of Ipswich (brown and grey, everyone will know her...) which I try to keep at least a cable away from at all times...

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Since relocating to the east coast otoh, I’ve found the old Thames barges to be the ones you need to watch... one of the damn things nearly ran me over in broad daylight coming up my backside... (he was motoring btw...).
    I can't remember the name, but there is one barge which has been the subject of threads before regarding its notorious disregard for other sea users. I think you may have found it.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I can't remember the name, but there is one barge which has been the subject of threads before regarding its notorious disregard for other sea users. I think you may have found it.
    I suspect I started one of those.... .

And he found me btw.....

Just regard these people the same as lorry or taxi ' professionals ' - as said the best advice is to keep a clear path out of their way !

- I knew a chum who ' stood on ' until we could count the rivets on the Solent car ferries but they never showed any courtesy, the only people who do are the hovercraft pilots, ironically with the most awkward handling craft, I've sent them a couple of thanks for not being waffled over
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

I was coming into Plymouth at night once, single-handed and exhausted, and came across an unlit small motorboat suffering engine failure, two men and two women aboard, close to, and being taken by the tide towards, the nasties that lie between between Drake Island and the shore to the west (The Bridge?). I came alongside them and they passed me a pathetically short piece of thin string. I was single handed, and there wasn't time to sort out anything better before we'd both be in trouble, so took a turn round a stern cleat, hung on to the short tail, and towed them into the deep water north-ish of the island. Once we were clear of immediate danger, with plenty of space around us, I was chuffed that my separately switched nav lights allowed me to show correct lights for a towing vessel, got a longer towrope out of my locker, and was just in the process of getting that set up between us when one of the tourist boats came bearing down on us, passed horribly close, risking my boat and the tow being thrown hard against one another, and the tourist boat crew bellowed something I didn't quite hear, but certainly didn't sound like a friendly greeting.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast