Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    He will have a timetable to stick to. I usually give them a wide berth and enjoy my day.
    This.

We could always arrange for Drakes Island to be moved onto "The Bridge" thus widening the channel, but there might be an argument that it has become part of Cornwall and how to do a cream tea.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

The tourist boats from Fionnphort to Staffa have a ... robust ... approach to any yachts anchored in Bull Hole. In contrast, the boats running from the pontoons at Ulva Ferry could not be more courteous and considerate.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I used to keep a boat on a mooring in the upper reaches of the Tamar the day trip boats always used to create a fair bit of rolling when passing but on two occasions I was up the mast they delighted in coming very close which could have had disastrous consequences.

So accommodating incompetent/arrogant people will lead to an overall improvement in safety and courtesy? Has the abusive Thames barge owner, about whom I have read many times on here, learnt the error of their ways? "Life's too short" is the sort of attitude that gave rise to systematic abuse of women. Life is not too short to call out bad behaviour.

Disagree, changing course early to keep well clear when it's obvious the other vessel isn't complying with the irpcs is good seamanship and good common sense and isn't..

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    accommodating incompetent/arrogant people

Whatever action you chose to take to avoid the collision or near miss", can and should be reported to the relevant authorities should it not. The incident can then be investigated and the guilty dealt with as required. If you walk away and turn the other cheek you may not be in a position to take effective action to avoid collision next time it happens. They will keep doing what they are doing until they are told the error of their ways by someone in authority.
    Of course to make any report stick you will need evidence, photographs, ais track etc would be useful.
    Everyone can make a mistake and I'm not suggesting that we as boaters go reporting every minor incident but these people sound as they are persistent offenders and should be dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Disagree, changing course early to keep well clear when it's obvious the other vessel isn't complying with the irpcs is good seamanship and good common sense and isn't..
    Oh, to have the prescience to recognise the intentions of the other vessel so early. No wonder they call us WAFIs!

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Oh, to have the prescience to recognise the intentions of the other vessel so early. No wonder they call us WAFIs!
    So early?

In one of Her Madge's Dockyard Ports, if you're really sure of yourself, call them up on the QHM channel and suggest they respect the rules.
    Chances are you'll have a few people listening..

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast