Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderace View Post

In hindsight I should have reported it; but to be honest I didn't get the name of the vessel, (small red hulled, white superstructure, passenger carry boat, with open bow, circa 10-15m length I'd guess) so if anybody knows it, I'll happily drop the harbour master a line.
    If you are referring to Plymouth sound, it sounds like it could be the Cawsand Ferry (Ex ship's lifeboat). It does move at some speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    I used to keep a boat on a mooring in the upper reaches of the Tamar the day trip boats always used to create a fair bit of rolling when passing but on two occasions I was up the mast they delighted in coming very close which could have had disastrous consequences.
    My little yacht is at Cargreen, and the tripper boats to and from Calstock have no intention of slowing down when going ploughing on through our moorings. Makes me cross when the wake arrives and I get knocked all over the place. They can usually see dinghies alongside, but seem not to care. And, yes, I've been up my mast when they come along!

There was no need for you to enter a situation where col regs would apply. The event need never have happened.
    The commercial operator is working to earn his living, he regularly transits this stretch of water, why get in his way?

Quote Originally Posted by Appledore View Post
    If you are referring to Plymouth sound, it sounds like it could be the Cawsand Ferry (Ex ship's lifeboat). It does move at some speed!
    From the description, this sounds very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by steve350 View Post
    There was no need for you to enter a situation where col regs would apply. The event need never have happened.
    The commercial operator is working to earn his living, he regularly transits this stretch of water, why get in his way?
    COLREGS exist for a reason; so there is a standard set of rules by which EVERY vessel on the water operates, and thus EVERYBODY knows who has and has not got right of way. If there was not there would be mass confusion and loads of accidents and incidents.

A commercial operator is working for his living; that DOES NOT excuse his from ignoring/breaking the LAW. He has a legal duty as an employer under UK law to abide by the law and that includes COLREGS. Being a regular user of that water he should be even more knowledgeable and therefore aware of where yachts are going to and from, and thus apply the same principle "don't get into the situation in the first place".

As stated, I was NOT the instigator of this situation, he was. The corollary is like saying the car driving down the wrong side of the motorway hit me, but it was my fault for being in his way!

I do not intentionally get in the way of other boats, even if I know I have the right of way. That is non sensical and just not good seamanship.

[QUOTE=Tiderace;6781106]COLREGS exist for a reason; so there is a standard set of rules by which EVERY vessel on the water operates, and thus EVERYBODY knows who has and has not got right of way. If there was not there would be mass confusion and loads of accidents and incidents.

Your assuming everyone obeys laws especially those of the sea in a busy waterway ,with a ferry that uses this bearing every day , and you want them to give way and regurgitate the COLREGS because perhaps their is an annoying yacht men (not you) waving a little colrgs book at them and shouting stand no vessel .
    May I bring to you attention the commercial trucks pounding down the Motorway , ridding up your arse , cutting you off , jamming you in , how many people get the high way code out and wave it and then even report it to any authority,
    My point is and has been stated many times above, it is best to avoid the situation in the first place , especially commercial vessels that have time constraints and money to be made stand on stand off who cares get out the way in a good manner and plenty of time with decisive manoeuvrers
    Just my opinion ofc
    Flying birds have no master

*looks at getting into sailing*
    *thinks, maybe I should go on the forums and find other people who like sailing*

My god people, get a grip, go sailing and stay outta the way of other boats!

You were both involved in the situation. It was not inevitable that a risk of collision should develop. Of course, as soon as there was a risk of collision then you should abide by the col regs.
    It could be argued that good seamanship would avoid getting involved in the situation in the first place. No need to impede his progress.

Your analogy with a motorist driving on the wrong side of the road is poor as the motorist would be breaking the law. Whereas the commercial operator you encountered had every right to occupy the stretch of water he occupied. How you dealt with his presence was dependent upon the decisions you made at the time.
    Last edited by steve350; 08-05-19 at 14:05.

The U.K. Is bad but come here to the USA, you'll never complain again

W.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderace View Post
    Wherever possible I always give other vessels a wide berth. There is no reason to get too close.

That said, there are always incidents where for one reason or another this does not happen.

In this instance the ferry operator could see me for some time (minutes) and as I was on a steady course, there was no reason for him to drive like a "white van man" and potentially cause a collision. I was monitoring his movements as he came from my port quarter and I was confident that I had the ability to manoeuvre to avoid a collision if necessary; noting not doing so is also a breach of COLREGs. As the stand on vessel, if I stop "standing on" and start doing something else, the other vessel could easily get confused as to my intentions (assuming the skipper is competent, which in this case he clearly wasn't). So there is a balance point as to when you stop "standing on" and take evasive action. There was lots of room and time for the ferry to alter course; we are only talking a circa 5 degrees course change on his part, and or minor reduction in his speed to easily clear my stern; and there was nothing behind me!

This type of behaviour does happen, and if it was amateur boaters, you could put it down to inexperience etc. But this was a commercial operator who should know better and needlessly put two vessels and the lives of those onboard at risk.

In hindsight I should have reported it; but to be honest I didn't get the name of the vessel, (small red hulled, white superstructure, passenger carry boat, with open bow, circa 10-15m length I'd guess) so if anybody knows it, I'll happily drop the harbour master a line.

This type of behaviour, especially from commercial operator is inexcusable (after all we are talking about a failure to comply with probably the most basic COLREG.) should not be tolerated and should be called out and reported at every occurrence. (Which I will do next time.) If they are that incompetent their qualifications and suitability to hold them has to be questioned!
    Competent? Incompetent? or just a jerk?

Who knows?
    Thing about commercial passenger operators. Don't go scaring the passengers, you are liable to end up on YouTube
    Which will not be good for business.
    If he keeps acting like a jerk. it will not be good for business. If he is the owner its his business. If he was hired the owner will be less than pleased if he keeps hearing from concerned customers about how the skipper nearly hit some sail boat.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast