Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Home UK Midlands / Boat Croatia
    Posts
    18,295

    Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiderace View Post
    COLREGS exist for a reason; so there is a standard set of rules by which EVERY vessel on the water operates, and thus EVERYBODY knows who has and has not got right of way. If there was not there would be mass confusion and loads of accidents and incidents.

    A commercial operator is working for his living; that DOES NOT excuse his from ignoring/breaking the LAW. He has a legal duty as an employer under UK law to abide by the law and that includes COLREGS. Being a regular user of that water he should be even more knowledgeable and therefore aware of where yachts are going to and from, and thus apply the same principle "don't get into the situation in the first place".

    As stated, I was NOT the instigator of this situation, he was. The corollary is like saying the car driving down the wrong side of the motorway hit me, but it was my fault for being in his way!

    I do not intentionally get in the way of other boats, even if I know I have the right of way. That is non sensical and just not good seamanship.
    I'm with you all the way .... but I think that you are wasting your time trying to convince the forumites who presumably drive tripper boats around when they are not keyboarding.

    Richard

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere warm
    Posts
    9,103

    Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiderace View Post
    , even if I know I have the right of way. .
    Someone has to say it ..

    Ain't no such thing as right of way.....

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    347

    Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Someone has to say it ..

    Ain't no such thing as right of way.....
    Unless you're a mega tanker of course.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Long Beac. CA.
    Posts
    2,490

    Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
    Competent? Incompetent? or just a jerk?

    Who knows?
    Thing about commercial passenger operators. Don't go scaring the passengers, you are liable to end up on YouTube
    Which will not be good for business.
    If he keeps acting like a jerk. it will not be good for business. If he is the owner its his business. If he was hired the owner will be less than pleased if he keeps hearing from concerned customers about how the skipper nearly hit some sail boat.
    Wish that was the case. Most passengers have no idea..

    W.
    .

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    18,869

    Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I'm with you all the way .... but I think that you are wasting your time trying to convince the forumites who presumably drive tripper boats around when they are not keyboarding.

    Richard
    I do sometimes.

    And I know the difference between stand on and give way.

    Right of way.......duh.

    And I know that blaming what people are taught these days is ridiculous.........


  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Me North Dorset. Venezia in Portland.
    Posts
    3,588

    Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    He will have a timetable to stick to. I usually give them a wide berth and enjoy my day.
    +1 I try to stay clear of anyone who has a living to make*. They have enough stresses without me adding to them. I also try to stay clear of race areas, mostly because they're more likely to do something stupid in the heat of the moment.


    *(I do the same on the roads round here, I'm quite happy to pull over and let tradesmen and women pas, esp if I'm in no rush.)
    Adventure before dementia

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Solent
    Posts
    3,524

    Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by steve350 View Post
    There was no need for you to enter a situation where col regs would apply. The event need never have happened.
    The commercial operator is working to earn his living, he regularly transits this stretch of water, why get in his way?
    Your first point is entirely fair, but I don't agree with your second one. Should Mrs Evans be treated aggressively by a commercial driver because she's driving to have tea with her sister whereas he's delivering something?

    We should all sail according to the principle that one shouldn't "embarrass" the other vessel, whatever their size or purpose on the water. But boats wind up in the way of other vessels for all sorts of reasons, at which point the ColRegs need to be adhered to by both parties. The fact that a commercial ferry operator is working to earn his living is of no consequence whatsoever. If a local rule says something different then that's different, but I'm not aware this was the case with the OP.

    God help thousands of leisure sailors, say on the Solent, if the almost constant traffic of ferries and other commercial vessels didn't stick to the rules, which - in my experience there over fifteen years - they certainly do.
    Plan B...?

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Me North Dorset. Venezia in Portland.
    Posts
    3,588

    Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    I was coming into Plymouth at night once, single-handed and exhausted, and came across an unlit small motorboat suffering engine failure, two men and two women aboard, close to, and being taken by the tide towards, the nasties that lie between between Drake Island and the shore to the west (The Bridge?). I came alongside them and they passed me a pathetically short piece of thin string. I was single handed, and there wasn't time to sort out anything better before we'd both be in trouble, so took a turn round a stern cleat, hung on to the short tail, and towed them into the deep water north-ish of the island. Once we were clear of immediate danger, with plenty of space around us, I was chuffed that my separately switched nav lights allowed me to show correct lights for a towing vessel, got a longer towrope out of my locker, and was just in the process of getting that set up between us when one of the tourist boats came bearing down on us, passed horribly close, risking my boat and the tow being thrown hard against one another, and the tourist boat crew bellowed something I didn't quite hear, but certainly didn't sound like a friendly greeting.
    Just a thought, and I appreciate you were under pressure ....

    As you were single handed perhaps a Sécurité message when you were sorting them out would help? You were both Not Under Command and it would also warn the Coastguard that there's a potential problem for them to deal with?
    Adventure before dementia

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,823

    Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    I was coming into Plymouth at night once, single-handed and exhausted, and came across an unlit small motorboat suffering engine failure, two men and two women aboard, close to, and being taken by the tide towards, the nasties that lie between between Drake Island and the shore to the west (The Bridge?). I came alongside them and they passed me a pathetically short piece of thin string. I was single handed, and there wasn't time to sort out anything better before we'd both be in trouble, so took a turn round a stern cleat, hung on to the short tail, and towed them into the deep water north-ish of the island. Once we were clear of immediate danger, with plenty of space around us, I was chuffed that my separately switched nav lights allowed me to show correct lights for a towing vessel, got a longer towrope out of my locker, and was just in the process of getting that set up between us when one of the tourist boats came bearing down on us, passed horribly close, risking my boat and the tow being thrown hard against one another, and the tourist boat crew bellowed something I didn't quite hear, but certainly didn't sound like a friendly greeting.
    Now that would have been worth reporting to the relevant people.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    21,541

    Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

    I think that many of us use the term 'right of way' as a kind of shorthand for 'stand-on vessel' without necessarily implying the rights suggested. The disadvantage of this is that it might confuse some newcomers and non-sailors, but with the best will in the world, I expect that we lazy types will continue in our sloppiness.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to