Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: What do they teach people these days!!!

Personally, I have never had a problem with ferries and I certainly appreciate them as professional sailors and how they are very patient with us play sailors.

I think what we are talking about here are small tripper boats and small localised ferries. Ironically, we are often more restricted by draft than them. Of course we try to keep out of their way wherever possible but crowded summer weekends can be difficult. Often, visiting sailors are unaware of what they are and expect them to behave in accordance with the colregs.

It is in my experience that some seem to have an attitude problem towards us for whatever reason and seem to lack
    basic social skills. I do feel we have a duty to contact them in a friendly constructive way just as I would expect them to contact me for being negligent or ignorant. It is quite likely that this may help towards future accidents .
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    I do sometimes.

And I know the difference between stand on and give way.

Right of way.......duh.

And I know that blaming what people are taught these days is ridiculous.........

The OP had provided a clear description of the situation and a valid analysis of the relevant ColRegs using the correct terminology.

I would vouchsafe that only someone with an inappropriately over-inflated ego would try to make capital out of his later lapse in terminology.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    The OP had provided a clear description of the situation and a valid analysis of the relevant ColRegs using the correct terminology.

I would vouchsafe that only someone with an inappropriately over-inflated ego would try to make capital out of his later lapse in terminology.

Richard
    No dear boy, it would be someone who has spent most of the last twenty years teaching it to people. There is a vaaaast difference, but you know all about egos, eh?

Richard
    No dear boy, it would be someone who has spent most of the last twenty years teaching it to people. There is a vaaaast difference, but you know all about egos, eh?
    Quod erat demonstrandum.

In its practical implementation, there is very little difference between being "right of way" and being "stand on" .... but that's a lesson for another day and another thread.

Richard

Quod erat demonstrandum.

In its practical implementation, there is very little difference between being "right of way" and being "stand on" .... but that's a lesson for another day and another thread.

Richard
    Oh dear, I'm afraid I'm going to be busy then. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    Your first point is entirely fair, but I don't agree with your second one. Should Mrs Evans be treated aggressively by a commercial driver because she's driving to have tea with her sister whereas he's delivering something?

We should all sail according to the principle that one shouldn't "embarrass" the other vessel, whatever their size or purpose on the water. But boats wind up in the way of other vessels for all sorts of reasons, at which point the ColRegs need to be adhered to by both parties. The fact that a commercial ferry operator is working to earn his living is of no consequence whatsoever. If a local rule says something different then that's different, but I'm not aware this was the case with the OP.

God help thousands of leisure sailors, say on the Solent, if the almost constant traffic of ferries and other commercial vessels didn't stick to the rules, which - in my experience there over fifteen years - they certainly do.
    I agree Babylon, once a close quarters situation develops then both parties need to observe the regs. The ferry guy has no dispensation once the rules are in play. My point was that if it's possible to avoid impeding the commercial vessel in the first place then why not do so?
    To answer your question regarding Mrs Evans, well of course Mrs Evans should not be treated aggressively by other drivers, regardless of their status. Mrs Evans, perhaps being a considerate and experienced motorist, may choose to defer to commercial drivers in many situations. Slowing down to allow them to pull out of junctions for example. She appreciates that the commercial driver is at work whereas she is merely indulging her latest whim.

Quote Originally Posted by steve350 View Post
    ...My point was that if it's possible to avoid impeding the commercial vessel in the first place then why not do so...
    Steve, I absolutely agree.

My normal motto as skipper is "make life as easy as possible for yourself and your crew", to which ought to be added "and everyone else on the water"!

I think the vast majority in fact try to do exactly this.

Plan B...?

Oh dear, I'm afraid I'm going to be busy then. What a shame.
    Another learning opportunity for the Good Captain, missed.

Richard

Another learning opportunity for the Good Captain, missed.

Richard
    For me Richard, it would be a training opportunity. For you, a students opportunity to participate in a Masterclass with a true Maestro.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    Steve, I absolutely agree.

My normal motto as skipper is "make life as easy as possible for yourself and your crew", to which ought to be added "and everyone else on the water"!

I think the vast majority in fact try to do exactly this.

It often happens that someone describes a situation that led to difficulty and then comes in for a lot of stick from people who weren't there and don't know all the constraints that he was under. Personally, although I have been to Plymouth a few times, I wasn't able to make a full mental picture of the event, including such factors as how fast they were going, how much sea-room they had, the distances involved and so on. If the OP thought that the ferry had acted inappropriatedly, I am happy to take his word for it. I can imaginehow the situation might have arisen, though I can't offhand think of any occasions when I have been inconvenienced by trip boats or ferries. Perhaps it is a local problem.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast