Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Default Autopilot upgrading... experience with Latest raymarine?

Iíve got the older st4000+ raymarine with the black wheelpilot..(mk1?) and am looking to upgrade...

Want.. more responsiveness and power. The current model just isnít as good as I would like for singlehanded sailing...

Has anyone got experience with either upgrading this unit to the newer mk2 wheel drive unit, (I understand that the current wheel drive can be replaced by the newer one and it will work with the st4000+ control head etc...). Or... installing a new EV100 pack with the latest evolution system????

How good is it?

Boat is a Older Bavaria 31.. 3600kg displacement...

Comments greatfully received! And suggested alternatives..

Thanks!

Default Re: Autopilot upgrading... experience with Latest raymarine?

I have just fitted a ACU400/EV-1/P70RS system to my mobo and had virtually the same set up on my old Elan 40. Very good systems. Virtually idiot proof to set up and calibrate it (put in boat details, spin in a circle and its done) and keeps a good track. Follows the wind well on the sailing version providing the rest of your kit is up to date and working properly (my wind transmitter needed a new set of bearings before it would work accurately).

Hard for me to compare to previous versions as before the set up on the Elan we just had a tiller pilot on former yachts. Replacing the aged ST7000 on the mobo to the latest system does see it track a better course, and that's without putting it onto the highest performance setting.

If you succeed and want to dispose of your old motor etc. I'd be very interested in doing a deal
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle View Post
    If you succeed and want to dispose of your old motor etc. I'd be very interested in doing a deal
    Noted!

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    I’ve got the older st4000+ raymarine with the black wheelpilot..(mk1?) and am looking to upgrade...

Want.. more responsiveness and power. The current model just isn’t as good as I would like for singlehanded sailing...

Has anyone got experience with either upgrading this unit to the newer mk2 wheel drive unit, (I understand that the current wheel drive can be replaced by the newer one and it will work with the st4000+ control head etc...). Or... installing a new EV100 pack with the latest evolution system????

How good is it?

Boat is a Older Bavaria 31.. 3600kg displacement...

Comments greatfully received! And suggested alternatives..

Thanks!

Just change the boat.

I'm not convinced the Mk II is much (if any) of an improvement over the old black Mk I. Might even be worse. I've used both. The new electronics controller is probably better, but the Mk II wheel drive itself is pretty feeble and fragile.

Maybe not applicable as mine is a below deck system but I just installed an Evolution ACU-200 system with a type 1 linear drive unit. Simple to install and commission and so far it behaves perfectly. First proper test in a fresh breeze and a bit of following sea on Saturday and it steered as well as I could.
    ۞

We have the EV-100 tiller pilot on our Sadler 32. A brilliant piece of kit in our experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Just change the boat.
    I’m doing that.

One bit at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Maybe not applicable as mine is a below deck system but I just installed an Evolution ACU-200 system with a type 1 linear drive unit. Simple to install and commission and so far it behaves perfectly. First proper test in a fresh breeze and a bit of following sea on Saturday and it steered as well as I could.
    Id love the below deck version...but it’s an extra £1200 plus more for the install... so at least twice the price. And that’s too much moola for this season..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast