Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drakes Island

Default Drakes Island

Drakes Island in Plymouth has been put up for sale, asking 6 million.
    25 years ago it was bought by a local Devon character for 400,000. He had a "dream" of building a luxury hotel complex on the site; most Plymouthians have a dream of it belonging to the city and being used by kids for outdoor pursuits as it was in the past.

The "dream" of building the hotel seems to have fizzled out for the original owners at about the time they got planning permission.

Kerr, Ching

Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar

Default Re: Drakes Island

Asking 6m and selling for 6m are quite different things......

Quote Originally Posted by Robih View Post
    Asking 6m and selling for 6m are quite different things......
    Even then, not much real profit, 400k was a significant amount 25 years ago...

I lived and worked there for one season and one winter 82/83, it's been really sad to see it crumble into ruins.

As I understand it after buying it he rented out space for the Comms mast which paid him a good rent from the MOD/POP, which the council could have done. When I was there it was in reasonable condition and an interesting place to explore, we knew all the tunnels and used them as a caving circuit for evening activities, as well as having great climbing walls, an abseil vertical wall and a safe beach to work from. Plymouth is never going to be the place for a luxury up market hotel it doesn't have the weather or other city attractions, but as an outward bound centre it was perfect. I am biased of course.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Y View Post
    I lived and worked there for one season and one winter 82/83, it's been really sad to see it crumble into ruins.....

A good point.

I have never quite understood why they were not pursued for the neglect of the listed buildings over 25 years.

I was rather hoping it would be this "Drake's Island"! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizab...nd_(Cape_Horn)

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    A good point.

I have never quite understood why they were not pursued for the neglect of the listed buildings over 25 years.
    There is no legal obligation for owners of listed buildings to maintain them in any particular state.

In fact some would argue that the legal constraints and consents required for works on listed buildings is a barrier to maintenance.

I'm going to be sailing down that way next week and am planning on anchoring in the cove nearby - just this weekend I had found a youtube of some drone footage of the island, it looks interesting, I was assuming it was all off limits and surely MOD owned and protected, seemingly not, does anyone know if is it ok to go ashore and explore?

Quote Originally Posted by Phildorset View Post
    I'm going to be sailing down that way next week and am planning on anchoring in the cove nearby - just this weekend I had found a youtube of some drone footage of the island, it looks interesting, I was assuming it was all off limits and surely MOD owned and protected, seemingly not, does anyone know if is it ok to go ashore and explore?
    Lets just say that you see lots of people visiting on a summers day.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildorset View Post
    If by the cove nearby you mean barnpool, be careful about underwater obstructions and fouling your anchor - there are 2, one marked one not. The unmarked one is the remains of the WW2 LST pier and is directly in line with the prominent road leading down to the waterline.

As for Drake's Island, technically not, and the people (holding group) who own it are known to be 'difficult'. But at the end of the day if you don't cause any damage, then I think it would be difficult for them to do very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast