Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drakes Island

Default Re: Drakes Island

Quote Originally Posted by Phildorset View Post
    I'm going to be sailing down that way next week and am planning on anchoring in the cove nearby - just this weekend I had found a youtube of some drone footage of the island, it looks interesting, I was assuming it was all off limits and surely MOD owned and protected, seemingly not, does anyone know if is it ok to go ashore and explore?

As above, the owners seem absent, signage is dilapidated or missing, some of the buildings are in a dangerous state.

A lot of people seem to be using it as a community asset. MOD have no interests on the island just now. You can anchor off, just be aware of the cables shown on the chart.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    As above, the owners seem absent, signage is dilapidated or missing, some of the buildings are in a dangerous state.

A lot of people seem to be using it as a community asset. MOD have no interests on the island just now. You can anchor off, just be aware of the cables shown on the chart.
    Thanks both for the tips re the obstructions in Barn Pool, useful & duly noted (that is indeed where I meant), as to the island - great, if the weather is nice and time allows I'll chance it and have an explore.

This thread caught my eye because i am a bit of a Drake Fan and saw the island last year.

In NZ we had a situation where a piece of private land adjacent to a National park and attached to a very nice beach, was put up for sale.
    A couple of guys started a crowd fund and a trust and succeeded in buying the property on behalf of the great nz public. To be kept undeveloped and open to all.
    If we can do it in NZ with our small population maybe you can too?
    Aiming to live forever or die in the attempt!

Just in case anyone was wondering what the island looks like.

I've never been closer than there, test-sailing a boat I didn't buy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12