Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Cala D'Or berthing fees going up by 15%

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4557 View Post
    take the opportunity to discover the island as it's a beautiful unspoilt place but don't tell anyone else on here, we don't want the crowds.
    Well, that's not exactly top secret, actually. Peter Gabriel of Genesis fame (who obviously wasn't economically restricted in his choices!) is by now honorary citizen of Arzachena, where he has a huge property.
    Btw, talking of crowds, Costa Smeralda is actually the most crowded coastline of the island, albeit just for a short timeframe in the peak of the summer...

Quote Originally Posted by pan View Post
    Puerto Portals have gone up this year by 5% on 2018, 15x5m port rental berth now E28k +iva & water/elect, don't know how this compares to Cala D'or, I always thought was similar prices? .... would be nice if the £ rises against the euro
    Apologies that should have been 28euros/pa !
    This is probably a stupid question so please forgive my ignorance. But is that price for the berth alone or is there anything else included in the price - i'm thinking perhaps some yacht club membership, annual events - or nothing at all? Thanks

Berth alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    What do you define as cheap as chips cos I am sure someone on here thought £32,000 a year for a berth was good value
    It's a 7.5m rib and will be waiting on the berth at start of the holiday, 3 weeks pontoon berth with water but no power, launch and recovery by crane so the trailer doesn't get dipped in the sea, stored on it's trailer in a secure place for 49 weeks all for about £1k and it gets washed at beginning and end of holiday.
    Any issues are fixed overnight where possible at extra cost, great service but it's basic which suits us perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Well, that's not exactly top secret, actually. Peter Gabriel of Genesis fame (who obviously wasn't economically restricted in his choices!) is by now honorary citizen of Arzachena, where he has a huge property.
    Btw, talking of crowds, Costa Smeralda is actually the most crowded coastline of the island, albeit just for a short timeframe in the peak of the summer...
    Agree about the crowds in August, does get busy with a lot of Italians but there's always a small bay or cove that you can find that's empty. Maybe an issue in a big boat but in a rib we always have a choice of busy or quiet anchorages depending on how we feel that day. Sometimes the busy anchorages can give you the most smiles with some of the boat handling or anchoring techniques, not that I'm perfect.

Yep, a RIB is indeed a very good way to explore Costa Smeralda, and not be too bothered by how crowded the place can be, occasionally.
    My comment was just meant to strengthen your point about the possibilities to discover Sardinia also inland.
    I've been based here (in fact, I'm in Cagliari atm) for 13 years, and it's fair to say that I just scratched the surface.
    "Endless Island", a statement which you might have seen upon arrival in Sardinian airports, is indeed as simple as it is appropriate.

Hi Mapism/Paola, firstly, thank you again for all the info provided last year it was a great help. If i can figure out how i will post the video of our trip to PQ
    Crazy4557 or anyone, PM me if you are visiting and we can have a beer :-).

As i said earlier we caught the end of the season, visiting mid August and most of September...even then we didn't find it that crowded compared with Palma. Certainly, didn't see anchorages anywhere near as crowded as three fingers, illiates or portals were before we left. Even in the middle of the Rolex cup. Maybe we were just lucky.

So far, this year, the place has been deserted and we have had some amazing days out with our choice of anchorages. The main issue has been finding restaurants and bars that are open during the off season. TBF MapisM did warn me that this would be the case...but i really had no idea until i experienced it....hey ho, now i know.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Yep, a RIB is indeed a very good way to explore Costa Smeralda, and not be too bothered by how crowded the place can be, occasionally.
    My comment was just meant to strengthen your point about the possibilities to discover Sardinia also inland.
    I've been based here (in fact, I'm in Cagliari atm) for 13 years, and it's fair to say that I just scratched the surface.
    "Endless Island", a statement which you might have seen upon arrival in Sardinian airports, is indeed as simple as it is appropriate.
    All this discussion about moving to Sardinia has reminded me that we are considering another summer trip to your lovely island.
    I remember the last time we were there on our final day out to Guidi Bay, we found the bay packed with boats.
    Well, the Carleforte equivalent of "packed" anyway.
    There were five boats in the bay with us.
    FIVE boats - that is terrible!!!

The next time we anchored was in Menorca - in Teulera.
    It was like coming back to reality - WITH A BUMP

So, we are considering another summer trip down to the beautiful waters around your island.
    Probably with a yachtie friend.
    We got most things right last time but I am thinking of doing it a little later next year - maybe from June to September instead of May to August.
    I would like to contact you nearer the time - maybe you could put in some good words to Giuseppe - I assume he still runs the marina.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I remember the last time we were there on our final day out to Guidi Bay, we found the bay packed with boats.
    Well, the Carleforte equivalent of "packed" anyway.
    There were five boats in the bay with us.
    FIVE boats - that is terrible!!!
    LOL, yeah, sorry for the disappointing experience.
    I'm attaching below a small reminder of how Guidi Bay looks, the way God intended.
    There must be also a couple of pixels on the f/b of my old lady, which show myself and scubaman grinning from ear to ear...
    ...But that was in October, to be honest.

Talking of which, it's indeed a good idea to come a bit later, if that fits your agenda.
    Of course, also now you can enjoy very quiet anchorages, but the sea water is still coldish, and it takes a while before it warms up, at the beginning of the season. Otoh, it stays comfortable till mid Oct, if not even later.
    And also the weather is usually fantastic, but not too hot, towards the end of the summer.

Regardless, it'll be a pleasure to catch up, anytime!
    Just email me your arrival date when you will know it, and I'll inform G & C.
    Not that they will need any good words from myself, mind: I'm sure they will be as happy as myself to see again JW and her crew!

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Hi Mapism/Paola, firstly, thank you again for all the info provided last year it was a great help.
    If i can figure out how i will post the video of our trip to PQ
    The main issue has been finding restaurants and bars that are open during the off season
    'Twas my pleasure, I'm glad you enjoyed the experience.

And yes, cruising videos are always welcome here in the asylum, so please post yours!
    The easier way is to upload it on youtube, and then link it in your post here.
    It's sufficient to include the video sharing code in between the youtube tags, i.e.:
    [Y0UTUBE]code of your video[/Y0UTUBE]

Ref. the deserted place, that's actually very typical of Costa Smeralda, which is the most touristic-focused area of the island.
    Mind, also the other Sardinian coastal villages are more lively in the summer, obviously.
    But there isn't the ghost town effect that you can find in Poltu Quatu, Porto Cervo, Rotondo, etc.
    In a sense, it's almost the opposite: in many other places, like in CF where I'm based, it's only off season that you can fully enjoy their true, somewhat magic atmosphere!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast