Thread: Teak oil.

Default Teak oil.

Bought a Beneteau Trawler back in the Winter ... they have a fair bit of teak capping rail around the cockpit and up the starboard side deck. The previous owner at some point has used teak oil on this which now looks awful! Any suggestions as to the best way, if there is one, of getting rid of it and getting the teak to look original again? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: Teak oil.

Either leave it to weather or sand the woodwork
    Claymore

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Oxalic acid solution, but keep it off bits you dont want bleaching!

It will clean the teak up very well.

International Woodskin will look ok for a couple of years before requiring redoing.

If you want the simple look, Patio Magic/Boracol could be used as well. It is often difficult to see how much discoloration is dirt and how much mould.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I had a steel Ebbtide 33 With all the deck fittings mounted on teak blocks including the two toe rails total length70 ft that made a total of 93 separate items. I used a three stage process. first scrub with variety of brushes (large and toothbrushes) with soapy water to remove dirt, and then flushed with clean/ sea water if on mooring. Second use oxalic acid at 100% solution, only on teak flush off runs on the deck, then flush again with fresh/ sea water and leave to dry. last stage brush on Teak Wonder, using bare minimum and will be sucked up like blotting paper. This took two days if the weather was kind. Looked fantastic lasted almost the season. Then the same again next year. Alternatively once it is clean leave it to oxodise and go silver. It is up to you how much time and effort you want to expend to get that warm honey look.

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Best way. Also wash with water and softish brush across the grain. It will take a season or so but nature is best.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    International Woodskin will look ok for a couple of years before requiring redoing.
    Or, in my experience, evaporated in under a season!
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Or, in my experience, evaporated in under a season!
    Mine went horrible in year. One third looked fine, one third fell off and one third allowed water penetration and turned black underneath. Teak Wonder is working very well for me now.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."