Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jim Baerselman

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings

Default Jim Baerselman

Those of you with a longer memory will remember JimB who was frequent contributor here.

I'm sad to say he is no longer with us, his funeral was held yesterday.

Jim started out in the RAF, and graduated to become a test pilot, heavily involved in the development of the Harrier. Subsequently he led a multinational team that masterminded the design of the Tornado cockpit.

On leaving flying he started a dinghy sailing school in Greece, which morphed into one of the first flotilla sailing operations, Falcon. Other operators were absorbed and it became Sovereign Sailing. When Jim was ready to retire from the business it was bought by Barrie Neilson and continues today under Barry's name. Jim also served as Marketing Director of Brookes and Gatehouse, and was instrumental in the launch of the Yeoman Plotter.

Jim spent over 10 years as owner of an Oyster 406, which he sailed from the UK to the Med, enjoying a liveaboard life style. When he eventually sold the boat he bought a holiday home in the Peloponnese and started his website: http://www.jimbsail.info: A Sailor's Cruising Guide for Europe. The website is still up - his last entry reads "That's all for now folks!".

Jim was for many years a stalwart of the Cruising Association serving on several committees, as well as a spell as a member of Council - effectively a board member.

He will be missed.
    Last edited by Twister_Ken; 08-05-19 at 11:14.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Default Re: Jim Baerselman

He will be missed, always helpful and informative.

A real Gent. RIP.

Thanks for that sad news. I had used the http://www.jimbsail.info web site but did not know Jim's backstory.

The name of Falcon rang a bell, and I find I have a "Cruising Guide & Log" under that name from a holiday ca. 1980. Including a sticker on a Crawford Perry invoice saying that they were to merge with Chancery Travel to form Falcon. I don't think I was aware of Sovereign Sailing.

Mike.

Nice chap, always helpful, my first flotilla holiday was with Falcon back in the 1980's - a good experience

Quote Originally Posted by mjcoon View Post
    Thanks for that sad news. I had used the http://www.jimbsail.info web site but did not know Jim's backstory.

The name of Falcon rang a bell, and I find I have a "Cruising Guide & Log" under that name from a holiday ca. 1980. Including a sticker on a Crawford Perry invoice saying that they were to merge with Chancery Travel to form Falcon. I don't think I was aware of Sovereign Sailing.

Mike.
    Likewise, I didn't know Jim's background but love his website and so often found his comments scattered on forums or was led to his site by Google when the geek in me was researching our early bareboat forays into the Med. RIP

A shame; he was an excellent contributor to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    A shame; he was an excellent contributor to this forum.
    Very sad news. I can only reiterate the feelings of others. I find folk with this much experience are very rarely replaced. Rest in peace JB.

It is many years ago since I exchanged correspondence with Jim, a genuine nice person, RIP Jim.

Sad news indeed, he was interesting when it came to things about legislation, tax and stuff in the Med ports. He appeared to be a reliable source of information.

Thanks Twister_Ken for the short eulogy.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast