Thread: Jim Baerselman

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Default Re: Jim Baerselman

Sad news.
    RIP Jim
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Sad news indeed. His advice on cruising in the Med has been invaluable for myself and for many of the friends with whom we have sailed. He has left a footprint in the sand.
    Peter

Sad to hear the news. Quite a life story, never met Jim but appreciated his work both as described here and for the CA. Thanks for letting us know and the eulogy.
    “Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it’s the only one you have.”
    (French philosopher Emile Chartier)

http://Yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com

That is so very sad. I have often referred to Jim's website and have left a few observations on there over the years.

RIP Jim.

Richard

Yes, very sad. I referred to his website at the start of each year and found it very useful. I also exchanged a few emails and found him to be very friendly and helpful. I had hoped to meet him when we were near his place in Finikounda last year. I wasn't certain if he still lived there but the weather forced a quick move further along the coast. An opportunity missed.

My condolences to his wife Caroline.

My sister spent three summers working for Falcon (later Sovereign) Sailing in the early 90's as a windsurfing instructor in the Med, and I made the most of this to go and visit for a week's holiday each year to try to improve my windsurfing.
    Sadly though I never managed to do water starts, but almost....
    At the beginning of each season they would have a training week in Cowes, and on the Friday (or maybe it was Saturday?) night at the end of the week they had a party.
    I went to a few of these as well (I was living in Southampton then, so an easy trip across on the ferry), and they were excellent - one of the requirements in the job description was to be able to party enthusiastically with the punters (sorry, clients).
    And all of the staff were invariably very good at this. An iron constitution that could cope with drinking raki and ouzo in large quantities was also very desirable (and necessary for survival).
    Especially when one had to demonstrate flawless duck gybes the next day at work!
    And at the end of the season there would be another excellent party in November (I went to a few held in Telford - with a good opportunity to visit Ironbridge) before everybody dispersed to different parts of the world for their winter jobs - some skiing, others sailing or windsurfing.

I met Jim, his then wife Gillie, and their daughters Jan (who was also one of the windsurfing instructors) and Kim, and they were all lovely people.
    Sail on Jim, on that eternal broad reach - you were a sailing star and you will be missed by many.
    Last edited by Bajansailor; 09-05-19 at 03:20.

I am shocked to read this news about Jim ,
    we had communicated in the past with email and I have passed on info For his webs site ,
    Even tho I not met him personally it feel we lost part of our community.
    I know he was well though off in the cruising world by cruisers from all over the world .
    RIP Jim .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 09-05-19 at 04:44.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Twister Ken
    You have your facts wrong
    JimB did start a novel sailing programme in Greece it operated as Dinghy Sailing in Greece, CPT, Falcon Sailing and Sovereign Sailing. An MBO in 1994 saw it move to the Sunworld Group and after joining with Neilson Ski in 1999 it rebranded as Neilson Active Holidays - where it is now the UK's leading activity holiday tour operator - still owning and operating 80 flotilla yachts in Greece and Beach Clubs around the Med as well as ski chalets and hotels and is once again an independent company with the same values that Jim and his wife Gillie installed way back in the late 70's. Barry Neilson runs an outfit called Sailing Holidays.

Very sad.

Always a with helpful and strong opinions in person and just plain helpful online.

A sad loss, always helpful. His knowledge was a great resource

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast