Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Cockpit Drain Idea

My boat - Co26 - doesn't have a self-draining cockpit and I'd like opinions please as to the idea I've arrived at to overcome the problem (and I'm referring to the problem of safety, not wet feet).

Later Contessas solved the problem by raising the cockpit floor, but this IMO makes the seating position quite uncomfortable. My boat has a hand/12v pump to get rid of cockpit water but I want to have something foolproof in the event that I take a big breaking wave on board. So here's the idea - fit a 2in. horizontal drain in the cockpit (obviously above the waterline) leading aft/downwards to the transom via a one-way valve. It'll then self-drain, just leaving 6in. or so of water that won't be enough to affect the boat's sea-keeping, and that I can pump out myself.

Make sense?
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Default Re: Cockpit Drain Idea

I don't understand how a horizontal drain can flow down to the transom. Apart from that it could work although non return valves don't work perfectly especially at low differential heads.
    I'm surprised to learn that a boat who's design is universally aclaimed has such a fundamental fault.

It might be possible to set up a self-starting syphon, but cross-section of the tube would need to be significant to be of much use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zjzuqe9gAw
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Horizontal as in the mounting of the cockpit fitting; the flow will be gently downwards to the transom.

Many boats of her era (remembering the origins of the design date back to the 30s) didn't self-drain. It's never proved to be a problem, although I've yet to have a big wave break over me.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Clanger View Post
    It's never proved to be a problem, although I've yet to have a big wave break over me.
    Perhaps you're worrying unnecessarily, especially if your proposed solution would still leave 6" of water in the cockpit.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

If you’re going to fit a cockpit drain, why not simply take it from the cockpit deck vertically out the bottom of the hull? My 1969 Hurley 18 has two drains like this, exiting the hull close to the keel. The cockpit deck is high enough above the water line to prevent any back flow.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    If you’re going to fit a cockpit drain, why not simply take it from the cockpit deck vertically out the bottom of the hull?
    The implication is that his cockpit floor is below water level.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

If the cockpit is full, the trim of the boat may be affected so that it no longer drains through the transom, but floods...

I'd suggest a Whale 30 as the cockpit pump with a diverter valve - cockpit or bilges - on the intake side. I think it could go in a locker with a "through deck" fitting for the handle.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    The implication is that his cockpit floor is below water level.
    Looking at drawing on line, seems the deck may be at or just above the waterline, so you’re right, vertical drains won’t work. Equally, I’d have thought a horizontal drain via the transom is not going to contribute much leaving quite a bit of water to get rid of. All that said, looking at the drawings, the way the boats built the chances of taking a big wave into the cockpit are pretty small, so I’d be tempted to leave well alone.

Co26s have done Atlantic crossings, but I don't know if they were self-draining, though many non-self-drainers have done the same. I think that unless you were doing an ocean crossing you would be desperately unlucky to be pooped to that extent. I sailed downwind off Ostend in the tail end of a gale in a similar-sized Mystere with enormous waves following and didn't ship a single drop.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast