Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: So many dolphins in the Eastern Solent

Ha!

Seen them many times crossing Lyme Bay like this but so nice to have them closer to home and wonderful to see them so much more in British waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_sayin' View Post
    Great vid. They can be sneaky buggers, ducking and diving like an illegal street trader but you got lucky.
    Youtube - Lee Shores, Lazy Jacks and Lunches
    https://youtu.be/qrkJP42i89c

There was big pod of bottlenose dolphins off the West Pole Beacon outside Chichester about 18 months ago.

You can log your sightings here if you're interested.
    https://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk/recentsightings/

And help with identification here.
    https://www.seawatchfoundation.org.u...dentification/
    Last edited by DJE; 09-05-19 at 13:55.
    ۞

Could it be they are gathering prior to leaving?

https://youtu.be/_zfuU6uLwF8

Quote Originally Posted by daverebbettes View Post
    Sounds like you had little ones with you. Now that is the time to see dolphins. I'm sure they loved it. Keep safe.
    The kids loved the dolphins and were searching the seas for more relentlessly until we got to Brighton!

its hard to film them though because you just never know where they're going to come up

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Sailing View Post
    The kids loved the dolphins and were searching the seas for more relentlessly until we got to Brighton!

its hard to film them though because you just never know where they're going to come up
    I have just one photo that includes the beak - it is very difficult. My newer camera can now take pictures from before you press the shutter and I wish that I had had this when last I met dolphins.

Other than the odd fox or deer, dolphins are the mostly likely wild animals we are going to see. There is something very special about meeting any animal in the wild. They live in a world that is entirely different to ours. As well as our domestic wildlife I have been lucky enough to see various animals abroad, including rhinos and tigers, but dolphins are right up there with the best and it is their unpredictability that makes them so interesting.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Last summer near West Pole Beacon, Chichester harbour, probably 15 or more appeared to be feeding and heading west. An hour later someone on a motor cruiser in the same area took a stunning picture of one coming almost clear out of the water and look directly at the boat. I think the picture was put on Facebook. I wonder if the food availability has changed recently.

On a related point, a week ago I saw a solitary Gannet in the same area only a mile or two off Hayling beach, which I have never seen before in that area in the past five years of regular sailing. Though I am aware they are to be seen often off Selsey Bill. It looked to be passing through as opposed to fishing.

Gannets don't half get around. Lots around the Channel Isles of course, but I have even seen them crossing Thames Estuary. I once saw a skua off the Normandy Coast.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12