Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free Apps.

Default Re: Free Apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Leighb View Post
    I have installed Tides Planner on my iPad, and paid for the licence, now a bit more, but seems like a really useful App. However I thought I could have it on my iPhone also, but it seems I would have to pay again for the licence, is this correct? Should it not recognise that I have already paid?
    I didn't. Try installing it your iPhone and then going to tools -> app extensions and at the bottom there is an option to restore extensions.

That should install everything you've paid for - at least it did for me when I had a problem.
    Adventure before dementia

Quote Originally Posted by Leighb View Post
    I have found the answer after downloading the manual. You have to go through the purchase process, but it recognises that you have already done so, and the second licences are free. A bit clunky but it works.
    Sounds a bit risky. How far do you get before it decides not to charge you.

Iíve got Navionics Boating on my iPad, which is excellent for £35, (per year?). Downloaded it to my iphone and it gave me a trial which has now expired. Itís not much real use on a small screen, so I donít want to risk paying again.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post

I’ve got Navionics Boating on my iPad, which is excellent for £35, (per year?). Downloaded it to my iphone and it gave me a trial which has now expired. It’s not much real use on a small screen, so I don’t want to risk paying again.
    I think your safe, I've never had a problem and its from Imray, a trusted brand so if anything goes wrong you can always chase them.

If you're still unsure drop them an email, the address is in the About page.
    Adventure before dementia

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post

I’ve got Navionics Boating on my iPad, which is excellent for £35, (per year?). Downloaded it to my iphone and it gave me a trial which has now expired. It’s not much real use on a small screen, so I don’t want to risk paying again.
    When I clicked on the option I wanted, it came up with a message saying I had already purchased it, so I could have backed out at that point if it wanted to charge me because I would then need to confirm my Apple ID in order to pay.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    I use Linux almost exclusively on my desktop pc, and I have a Pi. But my question remains unanswered. All I can guess is that some people want to build up a portfolio or a decent CV so they can then find a proper job.
    Here's the answer to your question - I, & many others I know, do open source software because we enjoy it & it's our hobby. Nothing to do with portfolios or CV's. I'm near the end of my career & don't give a fig about those. I would still enjoy doing it if no-one was interested in my offerings. If someone or some organisation is, that's a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    Here's the answer to your question - I, & many others I know, do open source software because we enjoy it & it's our hobby. Nothing to do with portfolios or CV's. I'm near the end of my career & don't give a fig about those. I would still enjoy doing it if no-one was interested in my offerings. If someone or some organisation is, that's a bonus.
    Well there's no accounting for the few. But I'm pleased you do it

To get Tides Planner going on a second iPad or iPhone
    - find the app in the App Store
    - you should see a picture of a cloud, indicating that you aready bought it. Tap the cloud to install.
    - in settings, as already explained, restore extensions

Navily is worth a look - community-based resource mainly of interest for anchoring spots. Navionics on tablet is amazing value for £35 a year, gone are the days of buying expensive plotters & expensive map cartridges...

Is the first line android only? Neither of those appears in any search of the App Store from my iPad?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Plotting track COG SOG WP's - SailDroid & Mad Mutt Marine (gives Anchor watch)
    Weather - Windguru Lite, Meteo Consult Marine & SailGrib
    Tides - aTides, DGS Tides & BBC Weather Tides
    Chart Plotter - OpenCPN (worth paying for)

Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    Why do you suppose anyone would spend a great many hours designing and writing a useful app, just to give it away for free?
    Well, for most OpenSource, it's for several reasons.

1) If you've used something OpenSource and have the skills to contribute an upgrade or fix, it's part of the price of using it. I (for example) helped to fix a rather esoteric bug in the way PostGIS handled coordinate systems. In other words, if people find something useful, they often contribute time and effort back to the project.

2) Companies often contribute to and maintain OpenSource programs because said program is central to their main product.

3) As others have said, embedded adverts will pay for a lot of apps, and it is to the app developer's advantage to make sure the app gets a high usage by making it work well. This forum (which is built on OpenSource systems) works on that basis, and I bet it's a nice little earner for IPC!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast