Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

Default NTM Kessock Bridge

Just received this:

BEAR SCOTLAND

NOTICE TO MARINERS
    No. 01/2019

Inverness Firth - Chart 1078.

SCOTLAND EAST COAST
    APPROACHES TO INVERNESS HARBOUR / CALEDONIAN CANAL

KESSOCK ROAD BRIDGE Ė Works TO DECK SOFFIT OVER navigation channel

BEAR Scotland, on behalf of Transport Scotland, require to utilise a temporary access platform (underbridge) unit to carry out necessary maintenance works over the Kessock Bridge navigation channel, starting at the earliest date of 20th May for a period of 4 Ė 5 weeks.

The works primarily consist of modifications to the tuned mass dampers, located at the midspan, and to carry out maintenance inspections to the cable stay anchors and deck soffit over the width of the navigation channel, and remove some redundant equipment. The work duration is subject to the level of vessel traffic and weather events.

The temporary underbridge unit will encroach into the 29.0 m air draft and restrict it to 25.6 m air draft. If this reduction causes any vessel an air draft clearance issue, they should contact BEAR Scotland Control Room giving 7 daysí notice in order we may relocate the platform to a suitable position.

If the air draft reduction does not cause a clearance issue, vessels should follow the normal procedures, namely the Port of Inverness Pilotage Plan, and also contact BEAR Control Room with 24 hoursí notice so that we may arrange to stop work activities on the platform whilst vessels transit below.

All vessels to monitor VHF Channel 12 and 16.

BEAR Scotland Control Room :
    01738 481 212
    ControlRoom@bearscotland.co.uk
    Confirming the intended date of passage under Kessock bridge, the air draft of the vessel and contact details.
    While I doubt the reduced air draft will bother many on here, I don't like the "give them 24 hours notice" of transit so they can stop work.

If I am out for a day sail I may well transit under the bridge, but I am unlikely to know 24 hours in advance when that might be.

Default Re: NTM Kessock Bridge

I reckon that you and I are OK for the moment Dave!
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie N View Post
    I reckon that you and I are OK for the moment Dave!
    That was my thought. If they want to go for a tea break when they see me approach, then that's up to them. But just quoting what the NTM says, and if you take it literally.....

Still better keep the VHF turned on.,

And should I bring my hard hat when sailing?
    Last edited by ProDave; 09-05-19 at 16:47.

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
    That was my thought. If they want to go for a tea break when they see me approach, then that's up to them. But just quoting what the NTM says, and if you take it literally.....

Still better keep the VHF turned on.,

And should I bring my hard hat when sailing?
    It's not in ColRegs, but one can never be too careful!
    Brings the question of course, as to what colour should the hard hat be? Red or green might cause confusion etc.etc..!

I work on commercial safety boats on construction projects from time to time (in fact Iím on one now waiting for the builders to return from a lengthy tea break).

Iíve never yet been on a site where a quick chat with the on site safety boat crew canít mean leisure boaters are accommodated. You might have to wait a minute or two for a lull in works but itís never an issue.

Iím sure those leisure boaters with that sort of air draft have people for this sort of thing...

Quote Originally Posted by armchairsailor View Post
    I’m sure those leisure boaters with that sort of air draft have people for this sort of thing...
    Very Good!!