Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tool to remove cutlass/cutless bearing.. Anyone have a tool I could hire/borrow?

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Last weekend I helped a friend do his Moody 364? We did the job using this method but I was surprised that the hole through the P bracket had a step at it's forward end causing the split tube to slip inside the cutlass outer bearing when put under load. we ended up packing the split tube off the shaft as much as possible with shims and eventually got the bearing out which was crazy tight.
    If it had been my boat I would have removed this step before fitting the new bearing.
    If you do make one make sure the outside diameter of the split tube is as large as you can fit in the P bracket.
    Yes, the Moodys have a lip at the forward end of the p bracket. They also have two grub screw which hold the bearing in place.

Default Re: Tool to remove cutlass/cutless bearing.. Anyone have a tool I could hire/borrow?

With help from a friend we made up a tool which cost about 45 in total.

There is a video here.

https://youtu.be/FBqd8W5BPX4

The removal process was really easy as was the insertion of the new bearing. In fact getting the prop off was more of an effort.

My boat also has a 1" shaft.

Ian
    Tollesbury.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    Send a PM to Apogee of this forum. He made one.
    Actually my username is IanFr
    Tollesbury.

You can get bearings made to suit a clearance fit in the carrier (the ID is then made smaller)
    This way they can be inserted by hand and you can have a dry run installation before bedding them on epoxy.
    You can use grub screws as well but epoxy is sufficient, use a low melting point epoxy and it can be softened with heat to aid removal. Still a fiddly job on smaller shafts though.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

I have one. pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by ithet View Post
    Yes, the Moodys have a lip at the forward end of the p bracket. They also have two grub screw which hold the bearing in place.
    Mine doesn't !! - Moody 33, but does have grub screws which will need cleaning out, use a new hexagon key to unscrew them.
    I also have a tool which I made which can be borrowed, but I'm in Suffolk, not sure of the OD though, done it 3 times now - the 3rd time last winter when I re-aligned the P bracket which hopefully will make the bearing last longer. The misalignment had obviously been there since building. pm me if you need the tool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12