Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tool to remove cutlass/cutless bearing.. Anyone have a tool I could hire/borrow?

Hi,

I think the cutlass/cutless bearing need to be replaced on the boat.. There isn't much horizontal play but there is 1-1.5mm play vertically.. Removing the shaft would be a huge mission because the rudder would probably need to be removed so I want to replace the bearing without removing the shaft..

Shaft is 1" diameter, don't know the bearing OD until I get it out.. Does anyone have a tool I could hire/borrow to push the bearing out and push in the new one?

Otherwise I am going to have to get a tool made up to do it which isn't the end of the world just time consuming and might delay us getting the boat into the water so it would be easier to hire/borrow a tool..

Thanks..

Default Re: Tool to remove cutlass/cutless bearing.. Anyone have a tool I could hire/borrow?

Is this in the P bracket? Either way, I'd check that the designer/builders weren't kind to you and aimed the shaft (sans prop) to just clear the rudder.

If not, and it's in the P bracket I'm guessing that you thinking of tubes to push it through, but you'll definitely need an accurate OD before you buy it.
    Last edited by anoccasionalyachtsman; 10-05-19 at 13:52.

Default Re: Tool to remove cutlass/cutless bearing.. Anyone have a tool I could hire/borrow?

Send a PM to Apogee of this forum. He made one.
    Not all who wander are lost

Check for securing screws before trying to remove the bearing

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

"Here be dragons!" A task that I have always chickened out of, telling myself that boatyards need to live... I admire anyone brave enough to attempt it.

Yes, its the bearing in the P bracket.. I saw the article which is why I could make a tool but if someone has one it would be much easier..

I didn't try this trick myself, but I read about a simple trick that apparently worked for a few people: get a diamond cutting wire for cutting ceramics. Run it thru one of the grooves in the bearing and cut it - keep it wire really tight making sure you don't cut into the bracket. The bearing will become loose and it will become easy to be moved forward by pipe and hammer. When out, cut it again in half by angle grinder.

One thing, don't use a lump hammer or anything like it near a P bracket. Just don't.

Last weekend I helped a friend do his Moody 364? We did the job using this method but I was surprised that the hole through the P bracket had a step at it's forward end causing the split tube to slip inside the cutlass outer bearing when put under load. we ended up packing the split tube off the shaft as much as possible with shims and eventually got the bearing out which was crazy tight.
    If it had been my boat I would have removed this step before fitting the new bearing.
    If you do make one make sure the outside diameter of the split tube is as large as you can fit in the P bracket.
    Last edited by pete; 12-05-19 at 21:23.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast