Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    106

    Default VP2003 Heat Exchanger stack removal

    Can the cooling stack in a VP2003 Heat Exchanger be removed from the body of the heat exchanger (am going to descale it)?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    35,178

    Default Re: VP2003 Heat Exchanger stack removal

    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Can the cooling stack in a VP2003 Heat Exchanger be removed from the body of the heat exchanger (am going to descale it)?
    Yes, but it's a fiddly thing to remove and re-install, with lots of sealing rings (which should be replaced with new). There's also a possibility that descaling the stack may introduce leaks (this happened on the stack on my 2003T), so unless you think the pipes are very restricted by scale I'd be tempted to leave it alone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clyde
    Posts
    934

    Default Re: VP2003 Heat Exchanger stack removal

    I would have said no. The last boat I had was fitted with a VP 2003 ( not a turbo) and the stack seemed firmly secured (welded or similar) to the heat exchanger body. But easy to clean the stack as both ends were removable exposing the tubes for cleaning. Usual warnings re correct re-assembly so water correctly passes through all the tubes!

    pvb - are you referring to the difficulty of removing the assembled heat exchanger from the engine, rather than the stack from the heat exchanger body?
    Last edited by West Coast; 10-05-19 at 13:55.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    35,178

    Default Re: VP2003 Heat Exchanger stack removal

    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
    I would have said no. The last boat I had was fitted with a VP 2003 ( not a turbo) and the stack seemed firmly secured (welded or similar) to the heat exchanger body.
    The parts diagram shows them as separate parts, although no longer available. You can still buy a complete heat exchanger for about a grand, which is why I'd treat the existing one very carefully!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    3,282

    Default Re: VP2003 Heat Exchanger stack removal

    Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    The parts diagram shows them as separate parts, although no longer available. You can still buy a complete heat exchanger for about a grand, which is why I'd treat the existing one very carefully!
    The 2003 unit stack is not removable but the 2003T has an insert they are quite different animals as I recall on dealer supplied engines the fresh water cooling was an optional extra but productionbuilders may have been able to have them fitted from factory

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Bewdley, Worcs
    Posts
    320

    Default Re: VP2003 Heat Exchanger stack removal

    And to be fair, you should not need to dismantle the stack that far. The heatexchanger itself can easily be removed from the engine (undo the bracket, remove the clamp nut at the end, and it slides off) the end caps can be removed, and then you have access to all the bits that might need attention. It is just solft-soldered, so any repairs should be easy if needed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to