Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Antifouling removal ideas!

Hello!

Boat is out again, and the project is to remove all old antiful and go back to gelshield-gelcoat coating. I will then reapply new protection!
    I ve read almost any method online, and i so far i have tried the following with miserable results.

1) orbital sander...this will take about a decade... sanding with a handsander is much faster that this...
    2) i bought a SKILL electric scrapper. I thought that was going to do it, but either it does nothing ( small angle) or it digs into the gelcoat. ( i pasiently checked every angle, there is no sweet spot were it will remove just the paint..it digs or does nothing.

I cant afford sandblasting, its to much money for my pocket. I came up to this solution with the angle grinder and this tool on it. Any one has used this on fiberglass?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32854132620.html
    Do it yourself and do it good!

Default Re: Antifouling removal ideas!

You really shouldn't dry-sand antifouling!

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    You really shouldn't dry-sand antifouling!
    I read someone wetsanded with mesh but he doens't say if he removed to the gelcoat or just for applying a new layer on top of the old... I know it;s going to be small Chernobyl with dry sainding... but i am running out of options.

Paint remover is another way...but the marine remover is pretty expensive stuff...

Google antifoul stripper. There are various makes.
    Also http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...ld-antifouling
    Not all who wander are lost

Took ours back to the epoxy this January, quite an easy job using Sandvik (or Bahco) two handed scraper with carbide blade (corners rounded to stop it digging in), followed by light dry sand with dust extraction. Primed with Jotun Vinyguard.

P1010118a.jpg

If you can stand to do it by hand, this sort of tool works very well:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-Carbi...504742&sr=1-23
    I used a cheaper version from screwfix that, they no longer seem to sell, to take all the antifoul off my boat 3 years ago; this one from B&Q is similar -
    https://www.diy.com/departments/harr.../182460_BQ.prd
    It took several days... but it was cheap!
    Steve
    [edit - looks like Graham 376 just got in first with this suggestion!]
    Last edited by sgr143; 10-05-19 at 16:19.

+1 another with Graham & sg for the Bahco-type scraper. Unless the old antifoul is particularly stubborn , this should work. Tougher bits may respond to softening with home-made stripper of caustic soda and wallpaper paste (skin and eye protection required, etc.)
    All epigrams are false

i did this earlier this year , used a harris scraper ex screwfix and wait for it , wallpaper paste - with caustic soda mixed in from bq . i had about a dozen layers to remove and it took time but it worked . apply it quite thick, paste holds the caustic on so it can do its work . leave overnight then scrape - if you are lucky you may get two layers off at a time . its still painfull work but absolutely worth it . dont forget to take all safety precautions .

Thank you all for your replies! Looks like hand scraper is the way to go...I read that polyester is sensitive to caustic soda, but theoriticaly it will never reach gelcoat. Even a litle bit it should not do harm.
    Should i buy extra blades? do they worn out?
    Last edited by Akestor; 10-05-19 at 18:11.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

I removed about forty years worth of antifoul from my Hurley 18 this winter. Tried industrial strength stripper: that wound up softening the gel coat as well, so gave that up.... In the end a two handed pull scrapper was the only answer, as others have said. Took about ten hours or so to get rid of the old stuff, mostly in two hour sessions to prevent total back seizure. I found that the blades didn’t need replacing but the Hurley isn’t what you’d call a big boat.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast