Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Antifouling removal ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Akestor View Post
    I back from a 2 day battle under the hull! I still have my vision and i dont have any ski spots from the caustic soda cocktail. I am very consious in every step of the job and what ever i do i am focusing on eye protection every single moment. I rolled the misxture under the hull and then started scraping it. One coating of striper removes the latest antifoul and then i am sanding to the gelcoat with full body white suite, gas mask and eye protection. I finished scraping the 3/4 of the hull today , and on next visit i ll attack sanding with an angle grinder with soft pad as i want to be done with this. So far i cant recall of doing anything more tiring for the body than this job...

The worse thing is that i had small cockroach inveders at the cockpit area as i had there the cornstach box for the striper cocktail....My boat is almost a small Chernobyl...caustic soda bellow and cockroach poison on deck, supports and keel... As many others have said...this is the first and last time i am doing this...
    Good job
    We have all said those beatiful words never again
    Flying birds have no master

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    Good job
    We have all said those beatiful words never again
    Yep, that's what I said the time before last

We did exactly the same. We did tried those chemical but didn't work at all, wasted £50.00 and all day on antifouling paint striper.
    Good quality scrapper like Bahco does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Took ours back to the epoxy this January, quite an easy job using Sandvik (or Bahco) two handed scraper with carbide blade (corners rounded to stop it digging in), followed by light dry sand with dust extraction. Primed with Jotun Vinyguard.

Attachment 77756

I tried the angle grinder with 120 grit at a wooden chair. Using it for removing antifoul is out of question as it will dig into the hull in a blink. Great tool for beveling but not as sanding tool unless its a metal surface underneath. So the steps are stripper application, scrapping the melted paint, and then continue patiently with orbital sander and net mesh paper. Thanks for all the feedback, helped a lot! sand.jpg
    Do it yourself and do it good!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234