Default Anchoring in Mahon

Does anyone know the current sate of affairs regarding anchoring in Mahon?

Used to be that you could for a few days tucked in behind the fort and at a few other places in the harbour. I know there have been some mass evictions in past years but what was it like last summer or early this season?
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Default Re: Anchoring in Mahon

We are based in Marina Mahon but when we arrived last year we found that it was still fine to anchor in Cala Teulera by the harbour entrance on the right and lots of people were - watch out for the shallows and of course keeping out of the touris t boat channel.

Thanks Rupert.

As you are local: who is it who controls the floating pontoons in the middle of the harbour?
    I assume they are visitor berths in season rather than permanent berths?

We are planning on visiting in August (I know - madness) with two boats, one 14.45m and one 18m.
    Don’t suppose you have any contacts for arranging berthing if needed?

Been there last year. You can anchor in Cala Teulera/Teulada for 3 days for free, although it was crowded and chaotic at times. The port authority (large RIB with blue police light on an arch) will come knocking in the morning and give you a flyer that explains this, has a map of the marinas with emails and phone numbers (there's about 12 of them or so) and which manages what berths, including the floating pontoons. The concessions change often, so last years flyer will be of little use to you. All of them are extremely expensive, although the floating pontoons slightly less so. Some have water, some don't.

We got lucky and on a tip from another boat we turned into one that was just setting up a new pontoon and business and had a drastically reduced rate of €70 per night (for 12m) with shore access, water and power (if you had very long cable/hoses), no other facilities. After a night on a paid berth it seems the 3 day anchoring counter resets

If you ride your dinghy through the shallow passage NE of Cala Teulada and then turn into the first little cala to the north, you will find a small supermercado just 200m from a tiny muddy beach where you can leave your dink (a local showed us this and it was brilliant, as it's a rather long dinghy ride into Mahon proper). They have fresh bread

Don't mess with the port authority, we've seen him chase down and repeatedly block a sailing yacht trying to leave from one of the town berths - don't know what it was about, but suspect they may have forgotten to pay. He was very polite to us when explaining anchoring in Teulada though.

do you recall where the 'new' pontoon was you stayed on?

It was pretty far down, almost to the western end of Mahon. Just checked the log, it was called "Muelle de Poniente" and operated from a desk in a shared office inside Pedro's Boat chandlery.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    It was pretty far down, almost to the western end of Mahon. Just checked the log, it was called "Muelle de Poniente" and operated from a desk in a shared office inside Pedro's Boat chandlery.
    The main floating pontoons are part of Marina Mahon. The cheapest marina but still very expensive. They offered us A,B and C berths. A I think was walk ashore marina which we chose and the other two are floating and at different distances to nearest dinghy point. They have a website and all seem to speak good English.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    Thanks Rupert.

As you are local: who is it who controls the floating pontoons in the middle of the harbour?
    I assume they are visitor berths in season rather than permanent berths?

We are planning on visiting in August (I know - madness) with two boats, one 14.45m and one 18m.
    Don’t suppose you have any contacts for arranging berthing if needed?
    Hi. I have berthed in Mahon the last 4 years. I berth on the Club Maritimo berths which back onto the harbour wall in the centre, bit like a poor man's St Tropez but actually much nicer IMHO. This is the cheapest place to berth in Menorca I believe, still. They are very friendly and if you know your dates now email them and I am sure you will have some luck. Email is officina@clubmaritimomahon.com The berths back onto the harbour wall/road with all the restaurants behind and it is a fabulous place to be and Mahon is truly a great city. You also get access to the Club itself where a G and T costs about €1.50 so a cheap place to warm up so as to speak. There is no anchoring in the harbour except when there are storms and they allow boats in for shelter. The storm shelter on starboard as you enter Mahon harbour, Cala Teulera, is a really good and calm place to anchor but gets very very full especially in August so you cannot rely on getting two boats in there especially with one being 18m. I would give Club Maritimo a shout personally. We have had a great time there and would welcome you but we are moving on in June. Have fun. ps make sure you go and eat at Way which is on the harbour and a two minute walk from where you would berth. Outstanding asian food.
    Last edited by Hooligan; 13-05-19 at 14:53.