Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spec me a North Brittany cruise

I'm looking for a bit of broad-brush advice on how to go about cruising the North Brittany coast, starting from the Solent and going via the CI's. Will likely be single-handed most of the time (plus parenting a young teenager for some of it) and boat is a 27ft long-keeler drawing 4ft.

Had a super few weeks in 2016 in the CI's (first time over there, did lots of anchoring, really liked Alderney Guernsey, Sark, Herm, not that keen on Jersey) and did my first single-handed crossing of the Channel on the return, but weather in 2017 and partner's illness in 2018 resulted in very little time on the water.

I've been advised to head as far west as I'd like (presumably from St PP), then work the rising tides eastwards before back up to the CI's (or even Cherbourg) and back to UK.

I like slow-ish cruising, as in spending a day or several in mainly quieter, traditional harbours or anchorages, walking, visiting interesting places ashore, etc.

So two essential questions:

(1) Where should I practically head for as my first stop (after a brief sojourn in Alderney then Guernsey), given that I'll be on my own and don't want too long a passage and too tricky an entry or at night?

(2) What are the must-visit places as I work my way along the coast?

Thanks
    Jon
    Plan B...?

Default Re: Spec me a North Brittany cruise

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post

I've been advised to head as far west as I'd like (presumably from St PP), then work the rising tides eastwards before back up to the CI's (or even Cherbourg) and back to UK.

I like slow-ish cruising, as in spending a day or several in mainly quieter, traditional harbours or anchorages, walking, visiting interesting places ashore, etc.

So two essential questions:

(1) Where should I practically head for as my first stop (after a brief sojourn in Alderney then Guernsey), given that I'll be on my own and don't want too long a passage and too tricky an entry or at night?

(2) What are the must-visit places as I work my way along the coast?

Thanks
    Jon

I wouldn't head west in one lump because you will be butting into a lot of foul tide (very foul if you go close to the coast). Nor would I worry about rising or falling tides, if you are willing to anchor or moor up, no problem
    Have a look at the charts on this very useful site, here:

http://montymariner.co.uk/tide-stream-charts/733-2/

Montymariner will, no doubt, be along in a bit to give you his view.

Maybe, cross to Lezardrieux or Treguier first (both are all tide marinas or you can anchor in the rivers or pick up a mooring) and then work your way along to the west in 15 - 20 mile day sails, the tide will scoot you along. Both of the above options are not as easy as, say, the Dart or Hamble so do your homework.

Some of the places you miss on the way out, can then be visited on your way back. I would go no further than Ile Batz , pushing on is not worth the effort if time is limited.
    There is enough of interest on this coast to keep you coming back for 10 years esp if you cop good weather.

The Bay of St Malo from Pampol east is another grand option but I would hoard that for another day.

You probably travel to slowly to reach St Malo in a day hop if you don't fancy jersey but once inside the lock it's now quite peaceful in marina and plenty of interesting places to visit in locality. Only downside is facilities are basic ashore. We loved being down river at lezardrieux and visited local chateau etc but again poor facilities and cramped berths. Simplest place might be St cast ? We have only visited Pampol by road but didn't fancy look of cramped berthing but if you like Yarmouth on a bank holiday weekend it's fine.

I would go West along the English coast as quick as you can, cross from Plymouth or Falmouth You could choose L'Aberwrach or somewhere a little further east as your first port. If you like anchoring then don't miss Ile de Batz and the Ile Chausey, get your tidal calculations right. Lots of ports along the coast some villages Lezardrieux some big ports Roscoff then the holiday towns St Cast. If you go back via St Malo there is the Rance to visit. I spent a lot of time in a V27 on that coast you should enjoy it. You didn't say how long you have either.

You don't say how long you have.
    Also important to start trip when it's approach Springs to get a morning run down to Guernsey.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Answers to OP

Treguier first stop. Interesting little town and cathedral. Lovely river.

Trebeurden a good final point west. You can anchor off Ile Molene which has a lovely sandy beach if you need to wait to get over the cill.

Deep water anchorages with some moorings on the way west include Port Blanc and Tregastel. On the way back there's Ploumanach, a must visit spot, and Perros Guirec. Both these have cills. Perros port is quite good in its own right but the town is worth the walk as are the beaches beyond.

That's all a great cruise.

Alternatively working the other way there's a good inshore passage between Treguier and Lezardrieux, or you can always go to Lezardrieux direct from St Peter Port. Ile de Brehat in the estuary is a must see. Quaint place, no cars just bicycles. We like picking up a mooring outside La Corderie but other options exist. Upriver is Pontrieux. There's a chateau Roche Jagu to visit on the way. Very picturesque walk up to it. From Pontrieux you can catch a train to Paimpol, another great place, but also on a cruise itinery with the right tides.

From Lezardrieux you have the deep water port of St Quay Portrieux past Paimpol. Good passage stop on the way to St Malo. St Cast also good, great beach a walk away. Dahouet is interesting, but has a cill. St Malo itself is a destination in its own right. But you'd need go stop off at Jersey on the way back. Also check out Iles Chausey and Grandcamps if feasible.

Sorry, I meant Granville not Grandcamps...

Some good suggestions here already: Lezardrieux, Tréguier, Ile de Brehat, L’Aberwrac’h if you have the time, Iles Chausey, St Malo...
    A word of warning as you say you will be singlehanding: both Tréguier and Lezardrieux have fierce tides sluicing through the pontoons and can be tricky. Call the harbourmaster and they will come out to the pontoon to assist you.

Here you go, about 460nM round trip. My preference is to get xChannel ASAP, then I feel like I'm on holiday. Furthest point Morlaix but you could cut that bit out to shorten the passage to Paimpol from St PP.

Morlaix.png
    MontyMariner.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Have a look at the charts on this very useful site, here:

http://montymariner.co.uk/tide-stream-charts/733-2/

Montymariner will, no doubt, be along in a bit to give you his view.
    Also put a copy of N Brittany Streams on your phone / tablet / PC
    My view is even a month isn't enough !

PS don't forget the CI's and Alderney Streams
    Last edited by LadyInBed; 10-05-19 at 23:53.
    MontyMariner.co.uk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast