Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Spec me a North Brittany cruise

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Also put a copy of N Brittany Streams on your phone / tablet / PC
    My view is even a month isn't enough !

PS don't forget the CI's and Alderney Streams
    If the weather is a bit iffy you won't be disappointed spending a few days in St. Malo and up through the EDF hydroelectric lock into the Rance. Plouër sur Rance is welcoming and cheap, and St Malo has navigation marks to die for. Jersey, just use it as a tide stop, if you work the tides (high) right it is a short and stimulating ride straight through the Minquiers to St. Malo.
    For whatever we lose,(like a you, or a me)
    It's always ourself We find in the sea.

Thanks so much folks - a lot of key pointers and suggestions.

Monty, your tidal-stream resources in particular are excellent: I'll print out the ones I don't already have on A4 to laminate into a slim file for use onboard (wax crayon me), as well as on my phone and tablet.

In terms of time I've got four weeks, maybe up to six, between mid-July and early Sept, but:

(i) This will also involve either one or two round-trip journeys by plane or ferry to collect my son from the ex and return him after a fortnight. (Complete nightmare, fixed schedule of alternating slots each summer, zero flexibility from a total take-and-no-give person, etc.) If I started a bit later then he'd come with me from the start (he wants to do his first Channel crossing), but actual departure date will be determined by the big weather picture at the time rather than individual wishes. Wherever I leave the boat for a bit, it'll be an additional adventure travelling by public transport to an airport or ferry terminal - all part of the fun!

(ii) I'm a single-hander in a relatively slow boat who likes his sleep and enjoys a steady pace of things rather than rushing to collect trophies. Although we can do a good 6kts under both sail and motor or a combination of both, I plan all passages at 5kts.

My initial thoughts: I don't fancy working my way west along the English coast first, so will cross from Yarmouth or Studland to Alderney. From St PP, at which point I'll probably have collected the lad, the shortest passage for us will be to Lezardrieux/Treguier with not too hairy an entry if planned and timed properly. Can work west from there in comparatively short passages, enjoying ourselves as we go. Trebeurden seems easily achievable as a westerly limit, but Ile de Batz also, which being in the locality of Roscoff gives a ferry option back with the lad. Then, depending on the weather situation and time left, I can head back to Lez/Treg, St PP etc, or stretch things east down towards St Malo and back up via Iles Chausey and Jersey, possibly then Cherbourg etc... or leave that for another time.

Cheers
    Plan B...?

Perros Guirec is nice too, watch tide heights not to get stuck inside for 2-3 days on neaps, *little 'port' anchorage whose name escapes me between Perros and Treguier is a pleasant stopover though not much shore life othrr than moules in shoreside hotel bar, but it is free. also anchorage off Sept Isles and a trip over the lighthouse I assume still open to visitors.

*PORT BLANC (got it finally)
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

," but Ile de Batz also, which being in the locality of Roscoff gives a ferry option back with the lad. "

The marina at Roscoff is ideal in this respect, you can walk right onto the ferry from your boat.
    If at all possible book in advance on the internet, rocking up to the ferry terminal would be very expensive.

Morlaix would be cheaper and a grand trip up the river but then you have to get to the ferry. Buses are a bit sparse and cabs v dear. The bay of Morlaix is a fine place in settled weather, superb beaches and swimming. Do get the latest edition of Secret Anchorages of Brittany( I am starting to harp on about this - no monetary connection +)) it is v good.

Tried to edit my post above on my mobile and ended up deleting it instead - not for the first time.

It basically said that if you head up to Morlaix along the river, the buoyage runs out for a while near the town and the channel is then marked by transits on the bank which are not mentioned in Reeds or Pilots but are shown on the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    *PORT BLANC (got it finally)
    Port Blanc is one of the ports i head for from Guernsey as it has 24hr access, the other is Primel, a small fishing port just across the bay from Roscoff also with 24hr access and neither seem to want to come and take money from you!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    Thanks so much folks - a lot of key pointers and suggestions.

Monty, your tidal-stream resources in particular are excellent: I'll print out the ones I don't already have on A4 to laminate into a slim file for use onboard (wax crayon me), as well as on my phone and tablet.

In terms of time I've got four weeks, maybe up to six, between mid-July and early Sept, but:

(i) This will also involve either one or two round-trip journeys by plane or ferry to collect my son from the ex and return him after a fortnight. (Complete nightmare, fixed schedule of alternating slots each summer, zero flexibility from a total take-and-no-give person, etc.) If I started a bit later then he'd come with me from the start (he wants to do his first Channel crossing), but actual departure date will be determined by the big weather picture at the time rather than individual wishes. Wherever I leave the boat for a bit, it'll be an additional adventure travelling by public transport to an airport or ferry terminal - all part of the fun!

(ii) I'm a single-hander in a relatively slow boat who likes his sleep and enjoys a steady pace of things rather than rushing to collect trophies. Although we can do a good 6kts under both sail and motor or a combination of both, I plan all passages at 5kts.

My initial thoughts: I don't fancy working my way west along the English coast first, so will cross from Yarmouth or Studland to Alderney. From St PP, at which point I'll probably have collected the lad, the shortest passage for us will be to Lezardrieux/Treguier with not too hairy an entry if planned and timed properly. Can work west from there in comparatively short passages, enjoying ourselves as we go. Trebeurden seems easily achievable as a westerly limit, but Ile de Batz also, which being in the locality of Roscoff gives a ferry option back with the lad. Then, depending on the weather situation and time left, I can head back to Lez/Treg, St PP etc, or stretch things east down towards St Malo and back up via Iles Chausey and Jersey, possibly then Cherbourg etc... or leave that for another time.

Cheers
    All I can say is you will find it easier to get west on the UK side, cross and then leisurely make your way home eastwards as you have 6 weeks I would spend 3 days getting to Plymouth or further then cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    All I can say is you will find it easier to get west on the UK side, cross and then leisurely make your way home eastwards as you have 6 weeks I would spend 3 days getting to Plymouth or further then cross.
    +1 crossing from Dartmouth is easy, L'Aberwrac'h a decent target too thence head east along stopping where chosen. We could do L'aberwrach' to Perros, or port blanc or Treguier on a tide by taking malouine shortcut out of river on inshore eddy east, Give Isle de Batz a little hitch north to avoid overfalls inshore. SOGs can be nicely impressive along north coast.

PS.

There used to be a few white waiting buoys on dog leg into Perros to wait on. W e often arrived latish and overnighted on one before goin 'in' on first morning tide, saved a night's fee too. tide runs fast over these and outer ones had enough water at LWS for our 7ft draught.
    Last edited by Robin; 11-05-19 at 17:31. Reason: PS added
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Port Blanc is one of the ports i head for from Guernsey as it has 24hr access, the other is Primel, a small fishing port just across the bay from Roscoff also with 24hr access and neither seem to want to come and take money from you!

Primel has been on my to-do list for some time. Did you pick up a mooring or anchor? Is there plenty of water?

Thanks Fr and Robin.

Devon to the western part of North Brittany is also an option, and one which makes the whole thing more of a circular cruise than an inverted 'T' route. But as its half as much distance again than the Needles to CI crossing, I'd prefer to have a mate with me for that.

I've certainly now got a much better overview of the various options than I did before starting this thread.
    Plan B...?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast