Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Spec me a North Brittany cruise

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    Thanks Fr and Robin.

Devon to the western part of North Brittany is also an option, and one which makes the whole thing more of a circular cruise than an inverted 'T' route. But as its half as much distance again than the Needles to CI crossing, I'd prefer to have a mate with me for that.

I've certainly now got a much better overview of the various options than I did before starting this thread.
    I used to do Fowey to L'Aberwrach in the 27 in a long day less than 24 Hrs so it's eminently doable, I used to go from Fowey or occasionally Falmouth for a better slant on the wind but if it looked like motoring the straight from Plymouth. Often it was two up but I did it myself on several occasions, taking the opportunity to work on Friday or Thursday in the SW, skive off early and I would be having breakfast the following day in France, a mooch about and back to work on Tuesday. You have plenty of time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    I would go West along the English coast as quick as you can, cross from Plymouth or Falmouth You could choose L'Aberwrach or somewhere a little further east as your first port. If you like anchoring then don't miss Ile de Batz and the Ile Chausey, get your tidal calculations right. Lots of ports along the coast some villages Lezardrieux some big ports Roscoff then the holiday towns St Cast. If you go back via St Malo there is the Rance to visit. I spent a lot of time in a V27 on that coast you should enjoy it. You didn't say how long you have either.
    Do not arrive in failing light to go inside the Île de Batz in the dark against a spring tide. Don’t ask me how I know but a few beers with Sailfree at L’Aberwrac’h was the start of it.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Primel has been on my to-do list for some time. Did you pick up a mooring or anchor? Is there plenty of water?
    Just inside round the breakwater turn to starboard then on the port side on a string of about 6 visitors buoys. They are in the deep water channel.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Excellent, thanks for that.

I have visited by car so I know it is not a lively spot but, as you say, convenience is a great thing.
    I heard there has been some local talk of a marina there but it is a political business within the same area. The worry is that it would divert business from the other two.

Personally, I'd go west along the English coast, as the tides are smaller, perhaps Plymouth of Falmouth then cross and bumbul east along the French side before heading back.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Personally, I'd go west along the English coast, as the tides are smaller, perhaps Plymouth of Falmouth then cross and bumbul east along the French side before heading back.
    We'd often do that when we kept our boat in the Medway, but over a series of weekends before our main 3 week holiday. Worked well, except for one occasion when we set off from Fowey into a Southerly which had been supposed to be a SEasterly. It stayed S the whole passage and we diverted to....

St Peter Port!

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post
    We'd often do that when we kept our boat in the Medway, but over a series of weekends before our main 3 week holiday. Worked well, except for one occasion when we set off from Fowey into a Southerly which had been supposed to be a SEasterly. It stayed S the whole passage and we diverted to....

St Peter Port!
    I had a similar experience, that's why I don't go that way, tried it once write up HERE.
    Now I always go Cherbourg / St PP, I prefer the options from there.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I'm sure heading well west before crossing is indeed a very good idea and it might work out that way.
    But the advantage of planning a crossing to Alderney from the Needles (or Studland or even Weymouth if the weather pattern facilitates that first) is that I can get the 'delivery' bit done in twelve hours rather than the twenty or so to make Roscoff. I'm usually pretty rusty and therefore less ballsy at the start of a cruise than later on...

Been studying my Imray charts and Peter Cumberlidges's pilot for the central area, starting with Lézardrieux which I imagine will be my first port of call from St PP, then tickle west every few days in shorter passages. Obviously this could be more challenging if the wind establishes itself too firmly in the west for an extended period (in which case it'll make sense to cruise the bay to St Malo this time round), but if its high-pressure then I assume it'll mostly be from the E or N, or if there's a pattern of (hopefully moderate!) fronts then its just a question of timing things as the wind backs and veers, etc.
    Last edited by Babylon; 13-05-19 at 19:21.
    Plan B...?

Paimpol, ile Brehat, tregieur, ploumanach, st Malo and up the river Rance to Dinan are all particular favourites of mine and all strongly recommended

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123