Default Belfast to Dublin - transit suggestions please.

I'm a newly qualified skipper planning to sail from the Firth of Clyde to Dublin via Belfast - with SWMBO, who is a competent crew as long as things don't get too rough at sea.

We've been to Belfast previously but would welcome suggestions of where to stop overnight (one or several) to achieve a leisurely and memorable cruise.

Length 40ft draft 2.1m.

Thanks......

Default Re: Belfast to Dublin - transit suggestions please.

Ardglass is perhaps the closest to a deep water mid way stopover. Nice enough (and think we ate at Golf Club?).
    Just watch some berths a bit shallow at low tide and can be surprisingly big waves just off the entrance.

Strangford and Carlingford Loughs are interesting to visit - but need to get tide timings right for entrance and exit. This can be tricky on a passage.
    Lots of anchorages inside Strangford Lough, plus marina close to entrance - but care a LOT of tide sluices through the pontoons so coming in and going out best done at slack water.
    Carlingford perhaps less pretty, but marina less challenging - though when we were there in 2015 was rather run down (most awful toilet facilities we saw across circa 50 marinas that year). Marina may have improved, donít know.

The interesting alternative is via Peel on Isle of Man - though I believe this has silted up badly so check before considering this with your draft.

Pick up a mooring just past Strangford village. Then do the same at Skerries. Save money for your Howth pontoon.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    The interesting alternative is via Peel on Isle of Man - though I believe this has silted up badly so check before considering this with your draft.
    I was last there five years ago and at low water behind the flap gate there was only a foot or so for many of the easterly pontoons. I believe they did some dredging after that, but this article (http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cf...earchyear=2019) suggests that things are still pretty bad, as you say. That said, I expect there will still be plenty of water for boats tying or rafting up to the walls nearer the entrance. I'm planning a trip down there myself this summer.

OP. if you go to Carlingford Lough there is the possibility of taking the Newry Ship Canal to Newry. Unfortunately is is extraordinarily difficult to find out how to use it. I think it used to require 48 hours notice, reduced a while back to 24, but I can find nothing useful online about it.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

We went from Belfast(Abercorn) to Strangford village pontoons. (Inside Copeland - no big deal - get the tide and pay attention!)
    Strangford is definitely interesting. 6 and 7 Kts through the Marina. Time it carefully for slack water and let them know you are there! Sailing club nearby had food and was was good. (visit Ward house and "Winterfell" across the wee ferry.)
    We went from Strangford to Howth direct. No bother, well offshore. Carlingford was a bit dodgy draft wise for us.
    Howth was excellent but pricey. Easy train ride into Dublin city.

( We did Bangor-Peel-Bangor about 6 years ago. Big tides at IOM, timing is important.)

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    ( We did Bangor-Peel-Bangor about 6 years ago. Big tides at IOM, timing is important.)
    Apart from depth, my recollection is that the tides on the approach to Peel aren't an issue, but working out a suitable way from Bangor past the Copeland Islands is rather tricky.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Keep closer to the shore, then you've just got to get past the perch and you are basically through. Presuming you have an engine if there's a head wind or no wind.

But you'd be passing Bangor at low tide to get the flow to Peel, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Apart from depth, my recollection is that the tides on the approach to Peel aren't an issue, but working out a suitable way from Bangor past the Copeland Islands is rather tricky.

Did both ways last year. Agree with above but an alternative is to anchor off Port Oriel. I didn't like Howth. The marina is friendly and well run if a bit tight but the village is flooded by visitors from Dublin. I much preferred the Yacht Club in Dublin. Noisy, swell from the working boats we were surrounded by gaff boats and sea shanties. Short noisy walk into Dublin centre. Lovely service. You can anchor out to await the tide if necessary.