Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Charter lifejackets

Hi, chartered in the Caribbean last year and was surprised that the boat had big yellow cumbersome life preservers rather than more modern self inflation types.
    I am about to embark on a Croatian charter from Sibenik and wonder if anyone has experience of the type of lifejackets that are likely to be supplied.
    Thanks

Default Re: Charter lifejackets

My Med charter experience is a few years old now, but a locker packed full of unused foam jackets was the norm there too. It's not anticipated that people will wear them under normal circumstances, and a foam jacket complies with the regulations, needs far less maintenance, and is guaranteed to work in an abandon-ship emergency where a neglected or fiddled-with inflatable might not.

You'd have to ask your charter company for a definitive answer though.

Pete

We always take our own

The lifejackets provided by Sunsail and The Moorings have always been the flotation aid variety. The sea is warm and clear, the sun is shining and there are plenty of boats around .... I've never seen anyone encumber themselves with a life jacket.

Richard

If I fell banged my head and went over board warm and clear not much help, between islands with the wind up have had to in the past put full gear on

The first time we went to Croatia we paid extra for modern lifejackets to be provided. When we got there there were none "because some school children have come and they get priority". We (eventually) got a refund on the lj's . To be honest we have not bothered since - it is too nice to wear them. The main reason I wear mine in uk is cold water shock and that does not pose the same immediate threat in Croatia or Caribbean. Have you seen a report of someone who has fallen in and drowned on a warm water charter ?
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    The lifejackets provided by Sunsail and The Moorings have always been the flotation aid variety. The sea is warm and clear, the sun is shining and there are plenty of boats around .... I've never seen anyone encumber themselves with a life jacket.

Richard
    I've been known to take an inflatable one ashore with me in the evening. The rest of the crew do not. But that's not because I drink more than them, but because I'm a non-swimmer.

If the local rule is that flotation aids have to be provided for a full permissible complement of crew rather than the number actually aboard, foam jackets take up a lot of space.

Mike.

Yes I could swim for some time in the warm water so not a problem for the time it took for the boat to get back to me, but if not fully conscious different matter

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    Yes I could swim for some time in the warm water so not a problem for the time it took for the boat to get back to me, but if not fully conscious different matter
    I don't know your age but I suspect that the senior citizens have a different perception of personal safety. I rode a powerful motorbike for years before the law forced me to wear a crash helmet and drove cars for years without a seat belt before the law forced me to wear one. I'm still here and would have been even if the laws had not been introduced.

Of course, I'm not saying that the laws were not a good idea. It's just that they made no difference to me, personally.

Richard

You have probably been one of the lucky ones, many others have been saved by helmets and seat belts, my biker friend a few weeks ago in Morocco on his annual bike trip, bike suffered thousands of damage but he made it ok.

Not saying age matters but I’m in early 50s and spent years whitewater kayaking etc and just risk assess each time as appropriate.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast