Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,150

    Default Re: Charter lifejackets

    The person without a life jacket who tripped and went over the side and drowned is not here to speak.
    Similarly if the Dutchman on his touring bike
    had not been wearing a helmet when he jammed my passenger door shut with his body the outcome would have been fatal not touch and go and survive.
    Oh yes and emotionally I still have to deal with that bikers misjudgement.
    So don't wear a seat belt,a life jacket,or crash helmet but neither do you have the right to subject others to your behaviour.
    Whether family and friends,the walker finding your bloated half eaten corpse on the beach or the motorist having your decapitated head bouncing off his windscreen having left your insides splattered across the road.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Nelson New Zealand
    Posts
    563

    Default Re: Charter lifejackets

    Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
    a. Do inflatables actually work worth a darn without crotch straps? increasingly, the view seems to be... not so much.

    b. How many people actually wear crotch straps? What fun. And yes, I have worn several types.
    I and my crew wear the crotch straps and dont find them a hassle. Actually they have bonus benefit in keeping my shorts up now that my waistline is a bit larger than my hips.
    Aiming to live forever or die in the attempt!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Home UK Midlands / Boat Croatia
    Posts
    18,295

    Default Re: Charter lifejackets

    Quote Originally Posted by ffiill View Post
    So don't wear a seat belt,a life jacket,or crash helmet but neither do you have the right to subject others to your behaviour.
    Whether family and friends,the walker finding your bloated half eaten corpse on the beach .....
    I've been sailing in the Med for 10 years now and probably seen 100,000 sailors of which, just a relative handful were wearing life jackets. If you are serious in your assertion that everyone must wear a life jacket to ensure that their corpses are not washed up on a beach, there's a humongous amount of persuading to be done.

    Richard

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Mooring, Faro
    Posts
    1,275

    Default Re: Charter lifejackets

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I've been sailing in the Med for 10 years now and probably seen 100,000 sailors of which, just a relative handful were wearing life jackets. If you are serious in your assertion that everyone must wear a life jacket to ensure that their corpses are not washed up on a beach, there's a humongous amount of persuading to be done.

    Richard
    +1

    Same on the Algarve, see very few adults in cruising boats or in dinghies wearing LJs but children often do. I get fed up (to be polite) with types like the previous poster trying to impose their will on the rest of us.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    18,869

    Default Re: Charter lifejackets

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    +1

    Same on the Algarve, see very few adults in cruising boats or in dinghies wearing LJs but children often do. I get fed up (to be polite) with types like the previous poster trying to impose their will on the rest of us.
    Hiya Graham, spent two of the last three weeks on the Algarve, lovely! But on topic, it's very noticeable all the pro Portugeezers on their fishing boats of all sizes are very visible in their bright orange buoyancy aids. And the Spanish arent.

    I'm not gonna get in an LJ argument here, got my own ideas from being a pro mariner myself, but the Fishermen don't seem troubled about their rules!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    18,869

    Default Re: Charter lifejackets

    Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
    a. Do inflatables actually work worth a darn without crotch straps? increasingly, the view seems to be... not so much.

    b. How many people actually wear crotch straps? What fun. And yes, I have worn several types.
    A. Definitely, it's just added security. Have personally tried it.

    B. A lot, a lot of the time!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Mooring, Faro
    Posts
    1,275

    Default Re: Charter lifejackets

    Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Hiya Graham, spent two of the last three weeks on the Algarve, lovely! But on topic, it's very noticeable all the pro Portugeezers on their fishing boats of all sizes are very visible in their bright orange buoyancy aids. And the Spanish arent.
    Portuguese law, anyone fishing plus all those on deck at the time (regardless of boat size/type) have to wear LJ, even if on mooring or anchor. 3 guys in open boat fish regularly near us, one wears his foam LJ back to front so not in his way. He'll be the one face down on the beach

    P.S. Law also requires LJs in dinghies for each person on board but don't have to wear them. Penalty for not having them is €250 p.p. but never heard of anyone being fined.
    Last edited by Graham376; 16-05-19 at 16:02. Reason: additional txt

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    18,869

    Default Re: Charter lifejackets

    Don't think it's too onerous a rule. We anchored off Culatra on Monday evening and nipped ashore for small beer. As I was on a school boat, we wore LJs. Didn't know their rules but seemed a good way of keeping ones yardarm clear!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Mooring, Faro
    Posts
    1,275

    Default Re: Charter lifejackets

    Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Don't think it's too onerous a rule. We anchored off Culatra on Monday evening and nipped ashore for small beer. As I was on a school boat, we wore LJs. Didn't know their rules but seemed a good way of keeping ones yardarm clear!
    Hey Chris, Thought you had got fed up with Iberia and deserted us for the islands Good idea to wear LJs when going for "a" beer which usually turns into several, particularly as you have duty of care with crew on a school boat. G.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    18,869

    Default Re: Charter lifejackets

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Hey Chris, Thought you had got fed up with Iberia and deserted us for the islands Good idea to wear LJs when going for "a" beer which usually turns into several, particularly as you have duty of care with crew on a school boat. G.
    Head hunted.

    Yeah, now based in the Lands Of Eternal Spring. However, do like nipping back from time to time. Friends of ours have a school in Ayamonte so great excuse to re visit the lovely Algarve. Especially when it's been such good weather recently, Scorchio and sea breezes!

    Oops hijack!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to