Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Charter lifejackets

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I don't know your age but I suspect that the senior citizens have a different perception of personal safety.
    What do you think we perceive? Personally, apart from a couple of lively dinghy trips, last time I wore a life jacket at sea was about 3 years ago in fog, since then I've been aboard for approx 6 months p.a.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    What do you think we perceive? Personally, apart from a couple of lively dinghy trips, last time I wore a life jacket at sea was about 3 years ago in fog, since then I've been aboard for approx 6 months p.a.
    I'm starting to think once you get over 60 personal safety becomes: "Ah well, it's only 10-20 years of life left, who cares".

It's likely that inflable ones don't meet coding requirements on most countries as they require interaction beyond sticking your head through the hole.

Auto jackets are also know to fail, or trigger by waves, need serving - all extra cost to the charters.

W.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    I'm starting to think once you get over 60 personal safety becomes: "Ah well, it's only 10-20 years of life left, who cares".
    I don't, and fortunately the NHS (open heart surgery, pacemaker, TURP) doesn't think so either!

Mike.

Many thanks for all your replies. Looks like if I want a decent lifejacket with a harness I will have to take my own.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelmck View Post
    Many thanks for all your replies. Looks like if I want a decent lifejacket with a harness I will have to take my own.
    Yep, that's the norm. I've had a boat in the med for 8 years now and have only insisted on lifejackets during night sails. There is little danger of hypothermia as the water is generally warm.

https://gcaptain.com/british-woman-s...m-cruise-ship/

... the other issue is that because it is so warm, you tend not to wear as much clothing, I wear swimming shorts and t-shirt which makes you much more buoyant than going in fully clothed. The chances of being collected by the boom and punted overboard unconscious are also slim as you spend alot of time hiding under a Bimini to avoid being frazzled, and the boom is well out of harms way.

At the end of the day, it's your choice and many charterers take their own lifejackets with them, but check with the airline about taking CO2 cartridges on board. Good news it seems as of 01.01.2019 ... most 150N lifejackets have a 33g CO2 cartridge.

New regulations for the 1st of January 2019
    The ICAO has rearranged and clarified the new ICAO T.I. 2019-2020 regulations for passengers and crew members. The 50 ml volume limit (and consequently the 28g limit) for cartridges is therefore no longer applicable to inflatable lifejackets from 01.01.2019. From 2019 inflatable lifejackets can finally be transported by plane after registration.
    https://www.secumar.com/en/can-you-t...-the-aircraft/
    Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 12-05-19 at 17:27.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelmck View Post
    When in Greece with Sailing Holidays we always took our own in the luggage (1x lifejacket and 1x replacement cylinder per person in each checked hold bag) and also wore them if the day was a little bouncy.

The older I get the less I give a stuff for what others think of my want to wear a life jacket. Besides, our Deckvests are comfortable and don't get in the way of anything we want to do.

a. Do inflatables actually work worth a darn without crotch straps? increasingly, the view seems to be... not so much.

b. How many people actually wear crotch straps? What fun. And yes, I have worn several types.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    It's likely that inflable ones don't meet coding requirements on most countries as they require interaction beyond sticking your head through the hole.

Auto jackets are also know to fail, or trigger by waves, need serving - all extra cost to the charters.

W.
    Nope. They are far cheaper. Its what charter companies do. Also no maintenance.

Follow the money.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcoon View Post
    I don't, and fortunately the NHS (open heart surgery, pacemaker, TURP) doesn't think so either!

Mike.
    It is an odd paradox that on the whole people become more risk-averse as they grow older, and in fact many older folk fail to enjoy what time they have for this reason. There is a generational thing that today's young people are more careful about safety than we ever were (or you could say more sensible) but I was heartened the other day by seeing a couple of children (you know who you are!) running around without lifejackets, something that is quite common abroad.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast