Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gas water heater aboard?

I'm currently looking for a new vessel of some description,and the OH says whatever it is, she wants to be able to have a hot shower aboard.

A normal immersion heater/heat exchanger type calorifier is easy to understand, but I've come across adverts saying 'gas calorifier' ( can't even find one on Google small enough for onboard).How do they work and what's people's opinions of them? I've also come across quite a few with small wall mounted gas water heaters.

Are these safe in a cabin?

Ta
    -... . / -. .. -.-. . / --- .-. / .. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -... --- -- -... .- .-. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .. - .... / --. .-. . . -.- / -.-- --- --. .... ..- .-. - .-.-.-

Default Re: Gas water heater aboard?

We have a standard Bosch gas water heater, have had it for 20 years, and we are still alive.

It gives us, almost, instant hot water any time, even when we have not run the engines. It is vented to the cockpit. When I say instant - we need to wait for the cold water in the system to be replaced by the hot. Its just a bit too hot to use neat, we need to use a bit of cold.

I'm always puzzled by the safety issue - people use their gas ovens, and if you bake bread - for quite long periods, longer than your shower - unless you have an endless supply of fresh water . As far as I know they are also all still alive (and ovens are not vented - or ours isn't)

We do not have calorifier - which might have been a mistake (as it would, obviously, save gas).

A note of caution - we are a catamaran - and have the space.

Jonathan

Yeah but ovens are usually used with the cabin open and not in such a small space as a heads. Hence me wondering.

Ours is located in the saloon. It takes up the space of half a 'common' yacht fridge.

I'm not sure why you think you can only locate in the heads - you can pump the water anywhere. It depends on the yacht - but it could be in the transom locker (with probably a short run for the gas pipe). With ours in the saloon it gets the saloon temperature up, a bit, and despite the adverts (for beaches and bikinis) its down to single digits in Sydney overnight currently.

Jonathan

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
    I'm currently looking for a new vessel of some description,and the OH says whatever it is, she wants to be able to have a hot shower aboard.

A normal immersion heater/heat exchanger type calorifier is easy to understand, but I've come across adverts saying 'gas calorifier' ( can't even find one on Google small enough for onboard).How do they work and what's people's opinions of them? I've also come across quite a few with small wall mounted gas water heaters.

Are these safe in a cabin?

Ta
    I have had a instant gas water on my last 2 boats my first was a Bosch fitted inside a cupboard with the chimney vented into a raised Vetus round deck vent.

The one on my current boat is a no name brand from our local equivalent B & Q store vented in a similar way but turned 90 degrees through the cabin side also in a cupboard in the head/shower compartment.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Thanks. What about something like this ( seen a couple of ads for boats with these aboard)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eccotemp-Po...07293094&psc=1

My previous boat came with an old fashioned geyser instant water heater which was mounted in the shower toilet. It had a pilot light and went into roaring heater mode when the tap was turned on. It got used in the UK and was still working 7 years later. It had a separate gas tap which we turned off after any and every shower.

It was likely fitted in the 60s and looked just like ones I saw in the 50s in houses.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Quote Originally Posted by TQA View Post
    My previous boat came with an old fashioned geyser instant water heater which was mounted in the shower toilet. It had a pilot light and went into roaring heater mode when the tap was turned on. It got used in the UK and was still working 7 years later. It had a separate gas tap which we turned off after any and every shower.

It was likely fitted in the 60s and looked just like ones I saw in the 50s in houses.

Ours also has a pilot light, which we turn off after use of the boiler (manual piezo ignition lighter) - primarily to save the gas! It too has a separate gas tap - which I think may be a legal requirement here in Australia. The boiler has its own gas tap. Nothing like belt and braces

Jonathan

I think these things are frowned on in the UK, for a typical yacht installation.
    Quite a few yachts have had them, but having an installation which satisfies surveyors and insurers in the UK might be difficult.
    A calorifier heated by the engine, immersion heater when on shore power and an Eberspacher/Webasto is perhaps a better way to go. Gas is expensive in small bottles for one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
    Yeah but ovens are usually used with the cabin open and not in such a small space as a heads. Hence me wondering.
    The oven maybe using 1 Kw of gas but the heater is possibly around 5 Kw.
    I did have a water heater on my boat but removed it because I wasn't happy with the ventilation and the insurance company insisted upon its removal after a survey. We now shower on board by use of a pressurised spray container.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast