Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Gas water heater aboard?

It just removes some rather nice yachts from the possibles list.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by TQA View Post
    My previous boat came with an old fashioned geyser instant water heater which was mounted in the shower toilet. It had a pilot light and went into roaring heater mode when the tap was turned on. It got used in the UK and was still working 7 years later. It had a separate gas tap which we turned off after any and every shower.

It was likely fitted in the 60s and looked just like ones I saw in the 50s in houses.
    We bought a boat with one like this. It was excellent, perfectly safe IMO and had been on the boat for something like 12 years. When we sold the boat after about four years the surveyor went purple and insisted it had to be removed. Totally illogical we thought.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
    Thanks. What about something like this ( seen a couple of ads for boats with these aboard)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eccotemp-Po...07293094&psc=1
    That heater is only suitable for use outdoors!

We have a similar water heater on our vessel. Over 20!years we have had no issues. Yes we have a CO alarm and we have ventilation when we use it for a shower. Our larger gas issue would be the oven which remains on for far longer periods on a daily basis.

Simply fitting the item outside is not the whole solution. An unfortunate death occurred here with a similar heated fitted outside a holiday house in a shower area with a curtain. Like most things in life it may be best to unserstand what is happening and how to manage this rather than some fixed rule such as fit it outside.

My boat had one on board at the time of purchase, it was condemned by the surveyor prior to purchase and subsequently decommissioned. It was installed in a locker within the heads so ventilation was a big issue. Also, it shared the locker with a battery so the combination of hydrogen gas in conjunction with an ignition source went against it. However, the previous owner used it for years without suffering explosion or asphyxiation so I suspect the various ventilation measures mitigated the risk.

The previous owner was a big fan of the boiler and I'm minded to have it re-commisissioned by a suitably qualified gas engineer, subject to insurance company agreement. We routinely deal with sources of explosive gases and lethal fumes on boats so it shouldn't be too difficult.

I have a Cointra gas water heater on my cat, installed by a marine gas engineer a couple of years ago. Can't fault it, does what it's meant to.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Well here's a strange thing, is it coincidence or something more sinister? Since I posted in this thread, and without carrying out any searches, Facebook is now trying to sell me a gas water heater.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

id LOVE to have hot water on mine. whats the new model of the Cointra gas water heater or similar?

what about installing one in the cockpit locker?
    Current boat: 1988 Jeanneau Sundream (lifting center board)

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    That heater is only suitable for use outdoors!
    I realise that, I've seen 2 boats listed for sale that had them fitted and I didn't think it was a good idea either!

The facebook ad is probably my fault for posting the Amazon link in the last page.
    -... . / -. .. -.-. . / --- .-. / .. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -... --- -- -... .- .-. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .. - .... / --. .-. . . -.- / -.-- --- --. .... ..- .-. - .-.-.-

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

As I posted before I have used a gas water heater on my boat for 20 years but I think the issue in the UK is H & S and possibly the requirement to have a "room sealed" gas heater like this that seem to be OK to use on Narrow boats.

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co....er-heater/1240

The fitting of this looks simpler that what I had to do with my non room sealed units I had.

I not this unit is out of stock but it just an example.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast