Thread: cabinet doors

Default cabinet doors

I need to make some new cabinet doors that should be a gloss off white finish. I am thinking of powder coat or something waterproof as the cabinet is in the heads / shower.

Can you powder coat MDF? or I was wondering how this high gloss kitchen units achieve that finish. Is there a company that can do just 2 doors . The old doors were MDF and lasted 19 years so I would rather use this than ply. Thanks

Thanks for any help

Default Re: cabinet doors

MDF is inordinately heavy (but is commonly spray painted (or veneered), for kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors (and they distort as soon as the paint cracks and they get wet )

I think you might be thinking of spray painting, in a booth, rather than powder coating.

Here - if you were to choose a common colour - you could have doors spray painted with another batch - if its a couple of small doors of a special colour I have this very nasty feeling it will cost you.

You can spray paint yourself - its not difficult. Just make a tent out of plastic sheeting, set your doors inside, you stay outside (other than your arms). Spray guns (?) are not that expensive - or you can source cheap ones, good enough for one project.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by emnick View Post
    I need to make some new cabinet doors that should be a gloss off white finish. I am thinking of powder coat or something waterproof as the cabinet is in the heads / shower.

Can you powder coat MDF? or I was wondering how this high gloss kitchen units achieve that finish. Is there a company that can do just 2 doors . The old doors were MDF and lasted 19 years so I would rather use this than ply. Thanks

Thanks for any help
    Hi Sean. Yes you can https://www.powdercoating.org/page/PConWood

the movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Ih7B0RLYI
    Not all who wander are lost

And do use the water resistant flavour of mdf - it's often green as opposed to the normal creamy brown.

The edges may be tricky. I've sprayed mdf, and it's lovely stuff to get a good finish on compared to wood, but the edges are difficult because you're essentially looking at the edges of hundreds of layers of paper. It might be worth wrapping them in a band of edging, but I 'hardened' it with car body filler, which sanded back to a good finish.

If you use any wood, give it a couple of coats of epoxy before spraying. If you decide to spray you will also need a compressor. About £100 for a small portable which you will have to wait for it to catch up each time you make a pass. Othe way once you have protected with epoxy is car aerosols.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.