Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Passage plans - resources

The Os been getting a bit of flack I reckon yet I've found local advice really good and can see a demand for a repository. Stuff like "leave Caernarfon xx hours after LW to get through the Swellies" or "Leave Pwllheli xx hours after HW to get through Bardsey". Obviously not replacing a passage plan but gets you started in the right area

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Fever View Post
    Well obviously one can cheat by going somewhere without tides :-)
    I know what you are on about but I'll have you know that passages within the Baltic take an enormous amount of planning.

Amongst other things you need to give yourself time to get into harbour before the charterBavs and get yourself a nice box facing the wind. This sometimes necessitates leaving after breakfast but before you've had time to shower.

Secondly, if moving to a new country, you need to plan your drinks stores to make sure that the booze isn't going to be much pricier at the next stop.

Thirdly, some places charge for water and others don't, so your water needs have to be planned.

Fourthly, some authorities don't take kindly to non-use of the motoring cone, so this item has to be available if needed.

See, I can do it when I try.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
    The Os been getting a bit of flack I reckon yet I've found local advice really good and can see a demand for a repository. Stuff like "leave Caernarfon xx hours after LW to get through the Swellies" or "Leave Pwllheli xx hours after HW to get through Bardsey". Obviously not replacing a passage plan but gets you started in the right area
    I'm not used to that level of support, please can you add some derisory comments.

"Secondly, if moving to a new country, you need to plan your drinks stores to make sure that the booze isn't going to be much pricier at the next stop"

This really should be your primary consideration.

+1. I find the passage plan template in Reed's focuses the mind and ensures all bases are covered.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post

...I think making your own plan is an important process, you need to check over the source material yourself, so you know why you are leaving at horrid AM and the effects of being early or late etc. I wouldn't want to use someone else's plan, or expect anyone to want to use mine.

I also want enough source materials on board to make a new plan, any new plan which might be wanted...
    That's quite right - practice is the best 'resource'.

Do it frequently enough using almanac and pilot-book (it's all there), actual weather forecast, your own constraints (vessel, crew), plus contingency options - and it'll all become second nature.

A crib-sheet laminated or glued into the inside cover of an A4 or A5 spiral-bound notebook is all you need. Read the passage and pilot info, underlining bits that are relevant, then jot the essential data for the passage in your notebook (pilot out, passage distance/time, pilot in, etc) and... plan made!

Gaining the input of others (website, forum, folk on a pontoon, etc) is helpful and often sociable, but then make your own plan.
    Plan B...?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234