Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SoF Berths

Default SoF Berths

Can I tap into the knowledge of the sof boaters please, getting close to pulling the trigger on a boat but Iím going in blind, so to speak, as never owned anything above 19ft and that was along time ago.

Our ideal choice would be a Portofino 53 in Beaulieu, Iím aware that berths are all over the place at the min and it seems Beaulieu is expensive, I want to keep costs to a minimum for the first year until we find our way around, not interested in buying a berth as we want to move around.

What we keep thinking is......... should we get something a bit smaller, Portofino 47 and would there be a big difference in berthing costs.

Any recommendations welcome !

Default Re: SoF Berths

First off the beam is more critical than the length. Then, different ports have different jump points eg. 15m - 18m - 25m, so if you are 16m on an 18m mooring it will be more expensive pro-rata. Someone with good Sunseeker knowledge will pop along soon and advise on beam with your 2 choices.

The other key factor is availibility of annual berths - like hen's teeth. Unless you have a secure berth you could be a nomad for a year. Having said that, quite a few marinas have their leases ending in the next couple of years, so buying one of those could be a good short term option. Fyi, our Port leases run until Jan 21 with an option to extend for another 10 years. Cost for our 17m x 5m mooring is approx 14,000 euros per year (inc the original lease cost)

Hi,

We keep our boat in Beaulieu and there is a great deal of turmoil as to what is going on with the berths this year.

If you are buying via local broker tell them a years berthing is mandatory for you.

PM me if you want more.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Unless you have a secure berth you could be a nomad for a year.
    Blimey, is that true for most SoF?
    That sounds pretty far from my idea of boating for pleasure...

Porto 47 for sale in La Nap comes with a berth or easily negotiated in the deal as its in a SS berth .
    IPS boat so your fuel bill will 1/2 or less than a P 53
    4.3 beam and 14/15 M + lift and annual maintenance will also be about 1/2 .
    Turn key package.
    Weather is bit settled and islands near as well as St Trop an hour away so your cruising options or valuable boat time is not wasted at the W of Cannes
    Also road link is better along with the train and parking .

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Blimey, is that true for most SoF?
    That sounds pretty far from my idea of boating for pleasure...
    I am on my final year of my berth, unfortunately it’s in a river mouth, so even though I pay for the full year I can only use it in the summer. The river is too dangerous in the winter. So for half the year I take a winter berth wherever there is a place available in convenient port. That means when I go cruising in the winter, and stay at another port, I’m actually paying three times for that night! Once for my permanent place, a second for my winter place and third time for my visitor mooring
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Thanks guys, don’t seem to hear much about IPS weather good or bad, just high maintenance costs, would there be a big difference in berth cost between the two ?

Numerous debates - mostly from people who dont have them!

In summary are they complex? Yes.

If they go wrong will the bill be expensive? Probably - but so can out drives.

Can anyone repair them ? You are probably tied to Volvo for anything major

Are they unreliable? There have been almost no people on the forum who have first hand experience of problems. Does not mean they don't exist, but they are probably not as frequent as the nay sayers suggest

Are they worth it? Depends on your view. You tend to gain handling and cabin space and ( I think) fuel economy at the expense of something that can only really be fixed by Volvo and their computer and might have a big bill if it goes bang. ( by contrast a shaft drive diesel can be worked on by most marine ( or truck) engineers. If you cruise off the beaten track they might not be the best option.

Do I have them? No ! I did have out drives and had few issues. Its a boat and it will go wrong!

You need to look at various ports prices , 18 M For aP 53and 14 M for a P 47/48
    They do shaft P 47 as well, if unknown bills of a 10 y IPS are to be removed from the equation?
    I highlighted the just listed IPS P47 as I know I can come with a berth for £1 K / pcm in La Nap
    Boils down to a 2 cabin or 3 cabin boat .
    If you have running cost anxiety the 53 will cost 1/2 as much again over a season factor in 200 L / hr for fuel
    So a day trip to St Trop from Beaulieu say 4 hrs running 800 L @ €1.6 /7 and basically it's a £ grand for a day out in fuelalone .
    Lerins islands about 1hr each way from B

While we are talking about P 53 , s you do realise the best engine option is the R6 MAN .
    There's a Lemon of a boat powered by CAT s Sunseeker have trying to shift , if it's that one ? Ps check the service history and get a CAT guy to do a proper check . ITS had water in the exhaust issues and a few owners
    Last edited by Portofino; 13-05-19 at 12:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    You need to look at various ports prices , 18 M For aP 53and 14 M for a P 47/48
    They do shaft P 47 as well, if unknown bills of a 10 y IPS are to be removed from the equation?
    I highlighted the just listed IPS P47 as I know I can come with a berth for £1 K / pcm in La Nap
    Boils down to a 2 cabin or 3 cabin boat .
    If you have running cost anxiety the 53 will cost 1/2 as much again over a season factor in 200 L / hr for fuel
    So a day trip to St Trop from Beaulieu say 4 hrs running 800 L @ €1.6 /7 and basically it's a £ grand for a day out in fuelalone .
    Porto, how much is a 10.5m x 3.45m rental berth in La Nap? Is it even possible to get in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast