Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default How many days to spare for Kornati Islands?

I am trying to plan my summer at Adriatic. I know the Dubrovnik and Split region but I have no idea about the north of Split. I wonder how many days to spare for Kornati Islands. Some say that one day is enough, some others say a week is not enough. I would like to hear the comments from forumites who are familiar with the region.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: How many days to spare for Kornati Islands?

I did it as guest of Mapism of this parish.

It is beautiful - the only snag is that is costs ball park e100 per day in park fees.

There is little in the way of water or electric ( you can get night time electric in some places and water is limited to 100 lts ). There are also no shops. You moor up at the local eaterie and have dinner - sometimes the mooring is free

I would say 3-4 days.

Agree, 3-4 days. You absolutely have to go to Skradin and the Krka falls on your way there - that's another 2 days!

I have a bit of mixed feelings based on last year experience, a dozen of years after I moved away from the Adriatic, which I cruised extensively in the past.
    In fact, from the mid 90s to the mid naughties, the Kornati Archipelago is probably the single boating area where I spent most of the nights at anchor in my whole boating experience - something like 15 to 20 days each summer if not more, for 10 years in a row.
    And not only I never got bored of it, but I always found some new spots, year after year.
    In this sense, based on my old but pretty extensive experience, I'm definitely in the "one week is not enough" camp - nowhere near enough, even.
    But, and it's a big but, that was back in the days when the cost of the daily permit was very reasonable, and you could drop the hook just about anywhere, with no restrictions, additional anchorage fees, or cumbersome requests from the park guards.

Otoh, last year I passed along most of the HR coast, and I must say that the islands which I found more welcoming and closer to my old memories were the Southern Dalmatian, further south.
    Talking of which, when you say that you know the Dubrovnik and Split region, do you mean the mainland coast between them, or also the islands?
    If just the former, I'm afraid you ain’t seen nothin’ yet, in boating terms.
    Korcula, Mljiet, Lastovo, Vis, Hvar are all well worth visiting, in that area.

That said, the landscape of the Kornati Archipelago remains pretty unique, and it would be unfair to dismiss it just because the Croatians realized that they can use it as a cash cow - together with several other nice bays outside the park where anchorage used to be free, actually.
    The bottom line is that based on this more recent experience I would now agree with the previous suggestions.
    Kornatis are still worth seeing for good, but 3 or 4 days are enough to get the gist of it.

Don't forget to post your impressions, anyway!

2 days (look at their crazy entry fee prices!)

Hi Eren,

we 've spend one night on anker in the Kornatis, and that is enough (considering your travel scedule)
    the marina's IN the Kornati are not worth visiting imo

there are plenty of nice spots surrounding the Kornati,
    sa Skradin and krka falls,
    and especially all the islands, anchorages and coves (with restaurants) between Kornati and Sibenic

also north of Kornati,
    Zadar is a nice stop,
    and on the island Dugi Otoc (east side) we discovered a really nice anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    It is beautiful - the only snag is that is costs ball park e100 per day in park fees.
    Well, I think nowadays they charge you roughly this kind of amount wherever you are at Croatian Adriatic.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneR View Post
    Agree, 3-4 days. You absolutely have to go to Skradin and the Krka falls on your way there - that's another 2 days!

I will definitely visit Skradin and Krka Falls. Actually I am not that short of time. It is a trip of 45 days. But still even though it seems a lot, actually it isn't. There are too many places in Croatia and I try to decide where to stay for how many days.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    But, and it's a big but, that was back in the days when the cost of the daily permit was very reasonable, and you could drop the hook just about anywhere, with no restrictions, additional anchorage fees, or cumbersome requests from the park guards.
    Do I get it correct that even though I pay for the park fee, still I will need to pay additional anchorage fees, while I am within the Kornati zone??

Otoh, last year I passed along most of the HR coast, and I must say that the islands which I found more welcoming and closer to my old memories were the Southern Dalmatian, further south.
    Talking of which, when you say that you know the Dubrovnik and Split region, do you mean the mainland coast between them, or also the islands?
    If just the former, I'm afraid you ainít seen nothiní yet, in boating terms.
    Korcula, Mljiet, Lastovo, Vis, Hvar are all well worth visiting, in that area.
    I have been twice to Elefitis and once to Split region islands. They were all lovely. However can be too crowded. I am planning to have some rather quiet days at the Kornatis, after the crowded days at the Hvar region.

That said, the landscape of the Kornati Archipelago remains pretty unique, and it would be unfair to dismiss it just because the Croatians realized that they can use it as a cash cow - together with several other nice bays outside the park where anchorage used to be free, actually.
    The bottom line is that based on this more recent experience I would now agree with the previous suggestions.
    Kornatis are still worth seeing for good, but 3 or 4 days are enough to get the gist of it.

Don't forget to post your impressions, anyway!
    As I see from all comments, I think a 3 days pass will do for me. I plan to do the land side (Murtar side) when going north and Kornatis when going south. I will definitely try to make a cruise report.

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    Hi Eren,

we 've spend one night on anker in the Kornatis, and that is enough (considering your travel scedule)
    the marina's IN the Kornati are not worth visiting imo

there are plenty of nice spots surrounding the Kornati,
    sa Skradin and krka falls,
    and especially all the islands, anchorages and coves (with restaurants) between Kornati and Sibenic

also north of Kornati,
    Zadar is a nice stop,
    and on the island Dugi Otoc (east side) we discovered a really nice anchorage
    Yes, actually north of Kornati would be my next question. How much north should I go? Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast