Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Portable air conditioning unit

Moving the boat to the med. So I need a portable air con unit for the saloon. Any recommendations for a decent unit? Thanks

Default Re: Portable air conditioning unit

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
    Moving the boat to the med. So I need a portable air con unit for the saloon. Any recommendations for a decent unit? Thanks
    Unfortunately my experience with a portable air conditioner is that itís not worth the trouble. I bought a fairly decent reasonably powerful domestic unit but it couldnít lower the temperature of a small salon even by a small amount.

remember that the exhaust hose must go to the outside or indeed it won't cool.

Your half way option if you dont have a generator is to install a proper marine system and only run in port. Coastal Rides etc sell the units and they are not that expensive if you just want one.

The other BIG issue is that the portable ones are quite big and where does it go?

Agree with the above but we bought a domestic unit when we first had the boat in Barcelona. It actually worked well in the saloon of my S37. It only just got through the saloon door so check before you buy and buy as big as you can. As mentioned the exhaust is a problem.
    After a year we bought a “proper” system for about 10x the cost of the domestic.
    The domestic unit is now in our bedroom at home for those occasional hot summer nights.

Actually we have had a better experience. We bought one from the local supermarket in France for our old sail boat. It was left in the companion way at night and would drop the main cabin temp quite well. Storage was a pain, but we found somewhere we could wedge it so it stayed put when we sailed.

Cost was Ä150.

I praised it so much we convinced friends to do the same and they live theirs.

Current boat has proper marine aircon and it is much better, but the portable was better than nothing.

Thanks for your replies.
    I havenít got the time or money to install a proper one as the boat leaves in a couple of weeks!
    The portable option has got to worth ago, as long as I can find somewhere to store it 😎

As you are heading to France you might want to try Super U. Thatís where we got ours.

If it is out of the water ( or even as they lift for transport ) put an inlet cock in the bottom of it and an outlet just above the waterline ( or below it ) and then the install is pretty simple as you have water in and out already done.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    If it is out of the water ( or even as they lift for transport ) put an inlet cock in the bottom of it and an outlet just above the waterline ( or below it ) and then the install is pretty simple as you have water in and out already done.
    Very good point because you will eventually have a/c
    Re ďor below itĒ we did this after annoying neighbours for many years with our outlet noise especially if they donít have a/c and sweating it out with the windows wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    Very good point because you will eventually have a/c
    Re ďor below itĒ we did this after annoying neighbours for many years with our outlet noise especially if they donít have a/c and sweating it out with the windows wide open.
    There was a long debate on here a while ago. Mine goes via exhaust. Dribbling ac is very annoying. One unit would be a simple and relatively cheap fit if the hull fittings are in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast